In the week Shaw was with Root:
- Root lived with Shaw in the Machine assigned place, Shaw didn’t make a big deal about it, since in her head, that’s what she’s been doing. The only difference is, how different the apartment is from the one in her head but Shaw doesn’t mind.
- Shaw also discovered that Root had interior decorating ideas of a 90s teenager. Jewel tones and purple shag rag. Shaw nixed the suggestions the moment she heard them.
- Also, Root wore old man blue pajamas in their first night together and Shaw doubled over laughing. Root was slightly offended about this and Shaw could have sworn Root muttered: “Harry liked my pajamas.”
- Root hugged Shaw. A lot. Shaw didn’t fight her… most of the time. It’s just really different when someone’s touching you in simulation and in reality. They never got the smell quite right.
- Shaw was never a touchy person but nine months without… it’s still a long time.
- Bear stayed with Shaw during the day time and she shadowed Root wherever she went, Root didn’t seem to mind.
- Shaw stayed away from the Subway. She still can’t take the chance but that doesn’t stop Shaw from lurking in one of the exits.
- Shaw passed by the eighth precinct but didn’t stop, it was still around and watched John play detective through a camera.
“How are you still a detective?” Shaw demanded as she watch him bungle another case.
Fusco let out a hearty laugh. “That’s what I’ve been saying.”
- Whenever Harold saw her, he always said: “Welcome back, Miss Shaw.”
He seemed to think she needed the assurance that she was welcome, it could get annoying, but Shaw has yet to bring it up.
- Carl Elias was living in the safe house now, WTF.
- Root can cook now.
- She’s even sappier than Shaw could ever imagine, and boy does she like to ramble. Just the act of making coffee required a five minute monologue about coffee. Shaw doesn’t really mind Root’s rambling, it was comforting in its way, but there’s a line. And the line was coffee.
“Root, I swear to God, just give me the damned coffee.”
- Shaw really liked having Bear around.
- Root talked about her adventures while she was away. ‘Away’ was how they described Shaw’s nine months of hell. And Shaw couldn’t believe half the shit she’s heard. “The Machine was in a briefcase? Harold sang Twisted Sister? Why the fuck were you on a horse??”
- Yes, she and Root have been having lots of sex. How is this your business?
“Are you– are you jealous of the simulation?” Shaw demanded one evening, after.
Shaw squinted her eyes at Root, “You are.”
And there it was, the pout: “She got to be with you for nine months.”
“You’re jealous of a simulation,” Shaw said, out loud. She knew there should’ve been things she shouldn’t have told Root. Only Root would be jealous of a VR simulation.
“She still got to be with you.”
“Oh, for god’s sake.” Shaw turned to Root, “then why don’t you make up for it.”
Root pulled Shaw closer and kissed her, and Shaw had to blink twice, Root smiled at her wickedly, “Oh, I intend to.”