Sam Wilson who went to fight for his country and joined one of the fucking most dangerous branches and went on the craziest missions and escaped with his life by the skin of his teeth over and over again and yeah, he was saving people and he loved that, has always loved helping people, but he also loves the whistle of air passing over his wings and the swoop of adrenaline as he dodges missiles and bullets.
Sam Wilson who watched his best friend get shot out of the sky.
Sam Wilson who came home but still isn’t quite certain he did, not completely, not in the ways that really count. Sam who now spends his time talking to other vets who know what it’s like to wake up in the middle of the night, shaking and crying and so goddamn certain that they’re back there that they can almost taste the sand in the back of their throat, smell the blood and dust and heat like tar. Sam who thinks he sees Riley one day at the mall and has to go hide in the toilet until his lungs no longer feel like they’re collapsing.
Sam Wilson who has a huge, sprawling family, who is constantly getting invited to holidays and parties and weekend get togethers just for the hell of it. Who goes and spends the whole time playing with his nieces and nephews and ignoring the concerned questions of aunts and grandmothers and second cousins. Who learned to bake at his momma’s knee and just can’t shake the instinct to care for people by feeding them.
Sam who sees a superhero out jogging and all he can think is how terribly alone he seems.
Sam Wilson who recognizes Steve’s PTSD when everyone else was content to just ignore it and hope it went away because Steve is Captain America except when he’s really just another soldier who has seen too much death and too little life. Sam who does more to help Steve in two conversations than SHIELD has done in two years.
Sam Wilson who brings Steve Rogers and the Black fucking Widow into his home because there was never any question of whether or not he would. Sam who hands over his records like an application because yeah he got out for a good reason and yeah Captain America might need him but Steve Rogers needs him more and really, at the end of it all, he’s goddamn selfish. He’s selfish because he has missed the feeling of speed blurring the world around him, of weightlessness during a dive, of free-fall and flight, of danger and battle and the absolute freedom of the sky more than anything else in the world and being able to help Captain America and the Black Widow and the whole goddamn world is just a big fucking bonus to getting his wings back.
He still feeds them breakfast though.
Sam Wilson who is way out of his depth when a man with a fucking metal arm rips the fucking steering wheel right out of his fucking hands.
Sam Wilson who did not sign up for this except he did and even if he isn’t sure how to deal with a brainwashed formerly-dead best friend he still recognizes the look in Steve’s eyes and knows he has to keep following this man because someone has to make sure Steve Rogers makes it out of this alive and it sure as shit ain’t going to be Steve Rogers. Who exchanges a look with the Black Widow and is both terrified and comforted to know that she also knows this.
Sam Wilson who almost dies and almost dies but then doesn’t. Who got his wings back for a short, glorious time before being grounded again but knowing that this time, nothing is going to keep him there. Who decides to follow Steve Roger’s on his hopeless hunt for a ghost because the look in Steve’s eye is one he’s seen in the mirror too many times to count and someone needs to look after that white boy before he does something stupid. Or maybe he just needs someone to do something stupid with him.
(because I had this conversation with my friend and I feel like I should post this here)
1. Skeleton War will be an actual thing.
2. Your pet is dead? Not for long!
3. Receiving creepily adorable Valentine’s Day presents (eg. “Human blood is red, but some of their veins are blue. Last year I gave you my heart, so this year I’ll give you two.”)
4. Death puns.
5. You’ll be totally safe during a zombie apocalypse thanks to “Control Undead”
6. You’re dating someone who is totally capable of creating an invincible army of undead. I mean, come on.
7. UNDEAD DRAGONS.
8. They’re great if you need to hide a body.
9. Skeleton puns.
10. They’re massive help if you’re struggling with biology..
11. They can fix that poor little dead bird you found yesterday at the park.
12. “‘Till death do us part” no longer applies.
13. Neither does ‘YOLO’
14. They usually dress in black, so if you like that too, you can steal their clothes if you want. (oversized hoodies that smell a little like death, but only a little ftw)
15. They can make a few skeletons/zombies do a wide variety of silly dances to cheer you up.
17. They may tell you what happens after death.
18. Hearing them do an impression of Frankenstein when raising the dead. (”IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE”)
19. You know the skeleton rave from the music video of “Hey Girls, Hey Boys” by Chemical Brothers? Yeah.
20. Watching horror movies together and hearing them complain about how such-and-such is a wrong way to raise the dead, and anyway that’s not how the human skeleton works etc. etc.
21. “Are you a graveyard? Because I’m dead inside and want to bury myself in you.”
22. The whole ‘skulls, bones and old books’ aesthetic
23. Want to meet J.R.R Tolkien? Terry Pratchett? Christopher Lee? No problem!
24. The same as above, but with family members.
25. Hearing random facts about the human body/bones/life/death etc. everyday.
26. They can probably bring back extinct animals as long as they have the skeletons (I think)
27. “Jurassic Park: Skeleton Edition”. Only the dinosaurs aren’t trying to kill you.
28. Quiet walks through the graveyards.
29. Throwing a mini zombie apocalypse on Halloween and/or April Fools.
30. Since they stay among the dead for so long, they usually appreciate any living creature staying close to them. (ie. extremely adorable cuddling sessions. Necromancers make the best cuddlers, shut up.)
I'd love to hear about your Feuilly/Bahorel headcanons Rebecca :3
Elise, somehow I always though this day would come. This is a very broad and vague request so here are the ones that come to me off the top of my head.
Bahorel braids Feuilly’s hair sometimes when they are having spa nights.
Spa nights are totally a thing and were initiated by Bahorel to make sure Feuilly actually relaxes on his nights off. They usually include facials, lotions, painting each others toenails, and trading off on massages while watching Legally Blonde.
On the off chance that Feuilly has a weekend off, they will pack a picnic lunch and spend the afternoon lounging in the sunshine, Feuilly with a book and Bahorel usually just naps.
Feuilly bringing vague painted signs to Bahorel’s boxing matches like “HIT HIM” or “JUST DO IT” with Shia LaBeouf’s face on it.
Bahorel regularly punching people when they make comments about his gay relationship while Feuilly just rolls his eyes and sweet talks the police into letting Bahorel go.
Feuilly painting elaborate landscapes on Bahorel’s vast landscape of a body and Bahorel returning the favor with graffiti tags and penis’
Bahorel sarcastically yelling “THAT’S MY BOY” whenever Feuilly does something moderately successful.
Bahorel telling Feuilly to hold his flower when he gets into bar fights. Even if he has no flower.
Feuilly making Bahorel order them fancy girly drinks all the time because it’s hilarious to see everyone at the bar’s reaction.
Bahorel bringing in stray pets all the time and Feuilly is always tripping over random animals, but doesn’t have the heart to kick them out because he knows what it’s like to be alone in the world but now he has found his home, and hopes these animals will soon too.
Bahorel who hates mushrooms and picks them off and puts them on Feuilly’s plate.
Feuilly being obsessed with super hipster bands and Bahorel constantly trying to sneak Nicki Minaj on to his ipod so he can laugh his ass off at Feuilly’s reaction.