The Ultimate 80s Movie Soundtrack Playlist: TRACK LIST
i’m alright – kenny loggins [caddyshack] magic – olivia newton-john [xanadu] fame – irene cara [fame] soul man – the blues brothers [the blues brothers] 9 to 5 – dolly parton [9 to 5] lookin’ for love – johnny lee [urban cowboy] let’s do something cheap and superficial – burt reynolds [smokey and the bandit 2] xanadu – olivia newton-john and elo [xanadu] everybody needs somebody – the blues brothers [the blues brothers] out here on my own – irene cara [fame] flash’s theme – queen [flash gordon] for your eyes only – sheena easton [for your eyes only] america – neil diamond [the jazz singer] arthur’s theme (best that you can do) – christopher cross [arthur] love on the rocks – neil diamond [the jazz singer] blue lamp – stevie nicks [heavy metal] open arms – journey [heavy metal and the last american virgin] somebody’s baby – jackson browne [fast times at ridgemont high] boys are back in town – the bus boys [48 hrs.] eye of the tiger – survivor [rocky 3 and 4] themes from e.t. the extra terrestrial – walter murphy [e.t. the extra terrestrial] theme from tron – wendy carlos [tron] long live the new flesh – howard shore [videodrome] push it to the limit – paul engemann [scarface] a million miles away – the plimsouls [valley girl] love my way – the psychedelic furs [valley girl] girls like me – bonnie hayes with the wild combo [valley girl] i la la la love you – pat travers [valley girl] get a job – the silhouettes [trading places, stand by me, joey and good morning, vietnam] ain’t too proud to beg – the temptations [the big chill] i heard it through the grapevine – marvin gaye [the big chill] d.c. cab – peabo bryson [d.c. cab] twist of fate – olivia newton-john [two of a kind] the dream – irene cara [d.c. cab] dr. detroit – devo [doctor detroit] wild sex (in the working class) – oingo boingo [sixteen candles] you’re the best around – joe esposito [the karate kid] if you were here – thompson twins [sixteen candles] almost paradise – mike reno and ann wilson [footloose] together in electric dreams – philip oakey and giorgio moroder [electric dreams] love light in flight – stevie wonder [the woman in red] cleanin’ up the town – the bus boys [ghostbusters] electric dreams – p.p. arnold [electric dreams] body rock – maria vidal [body rock] i just called to say i love you – stevie wonder [the woman in red] one foot in front of the other – bone symphony [revenge of the nerds] big bottom – spinal tap [this is spinal tap] little bitch – the specials [sixteen candles] beat street breakdown – grandmaster melle mel and the furious five [beat street] if i ruled the world – kurtis blow [krush groove] love theme from st. elmo’s fire – david foster [st. elmo’s fire] separate lives – phil collins and marilyn martin [white nights] only the young – journey [vision quest] to live and die in l.a. – wang chung [to live and die in l.a.] burning heart – survivor [rocky 4] say you, say me – lionel richie [white nights] hearts on fire – john cafferty [rocky 4] fire in the twilight – wang chung [the breakfast club] back in time – huey lewis and the news [back to the future] gambler – madonna [vision quest] no secrets – van stephenson [secret admirer] the glow (extended version) – willie hutch [the last dragon] eight arms to hold you – goon squad [the goonies] dancing in heaven (orbital be-bop) – q-feel [girls just wanna have fun] hard way – brock & davis [just one of the guys] heart too hot to hold – jesse johnson and stephanie spruill [the breakfast club] we don’t need another hero (thunderdome) – tina turner [mad max beyond thunderdome] young & innocent – elefante [st. elmo’s fire] good enough (dance remix) – cyndi lauper [the goonies] dancing in the streets – animotion [girls just wanna have fun] the last dragon theme – dwight david [the last dragon] stand by me – ben e. king [stand by me] you’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’ – the righteous brothers [top gun] if you leave – omd [pretty in pink] absolute beginners – david bowie [absolute beginners] take my breath away – berlin [top gun] lollipop – the chordettes [stand by me] come go with me – the del vikings [stand by me] please, please, please let me get what i want – the smiths [pretty in pink] beat city – the flowerpot men [ferris bueller’s day off] do wot you do – inxs [pretty in pink] pretty in pink ‘86 – the psychedelic furs [pretty in pink] but not tonight (robert margouleff extended remix) – depeche mode [modern girls] magic dance – david bowie [labyrinth] danger zone – kenny loggins [top gun] feel the heat – jean beauvoir [cobra] no promises – icehouse [modern girls] cry little sister – gerard mcmann [the lost boys] lost in the shadows – lou gramm [the lost boys] slice of heaven – dave dobbyn and herbs [footrot flats: the dog’s tale] i go crazy – flesh for lulu [some kind of wonderful] miss amanda jones – the march violets [some kind of wonderful] people are strange – echo and the bunnymen [the lost boys] she’s like the wind ft. wendy frazer – patrick swayze [dirty dancing] hypnotize me (innerspace mix) – wang chung [innerspace] turn to the sky – the march violets [some kind of wonderful] hungry eyes – eric carmen [dirty dancing] i get around – the beach boys [good morning, vietnam and look who’s talking] nowhere to run – martha reeves and the vandellas [good morning vietnam] do you love me – the contours [dirty dancing] i still believe – tim cappello [the lost boys] meet me half way – kenny loggins [over the top] colors – ice t [colors] coming to america – the system [coming to america] get outta my dreams, get into my car – billy ocean [license to drive] cult of personality – living colour [say anything…] in your eyes – peter gabriel [say anything…] after all – peter cetera and cher [chances are] birthday suit – johnny kemp [sing]
duration: over 7 hours if played nonstop.
*ghostbusters by ray parker jr., i’ve had the time of my life by bill medley and jennifer warnes, (don’t you) forget about me by simple minds and the power of love by huey lewis and the news are in DIFFERENT PLAYLISTS. I didn’t add them because I I wanted to add songs that I didn’t have in other playlists. You would have to go to my past ones to look out for them. *also, all things considered, there should be EXACTLY 110 songs in this playlist, which is also one of my ultimate playlists. If you experience any problems or hiccups of any kind, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME. I will take care of them accordingly.
Here is scientific evidence that the Bible is no ordinary book: ● Jeremiah 33:22 (written 2,500 years ago):“As the host of heaven cannot be numbered,nor the sand of the sea measured…” The Bible claims that the stars are uncountable (“host of heaven”is the biblical term for the stars). When this statement was made,no one knew how vast the number of stars was,as only about 1,100 were observable.Now we know that there are an estimated septillion—or more—stars,and that they cannot be numbered.
● Job 26:7 (written 3,500 years ago):“He hangs the earth on nothing.” At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal,the Bible stated that the earth freely floated in space.Scientists now know this is the case.
● Leviticus 17:11 (written 3,000 years ago):“For the life of the flesh is in the blood.” The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years.Up until 120 years ago,sick people were “bled,”and many died because of the practice.We now know that blood is essential to life.If you lose too much blood,you will lose your life.
● Leviticus 15:13 (written 3,000 years ago):“And when he who has a discharge is cleansed of his discharge,then he shall count for himself seven days for his cleansing,wash his clothes,and bathe his body in running water;then he shall be clean.” The Bible said that when dealing with disease,we should wash under running water.Because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown,up until 170 years ago doctors washed their hands in a basin of still water,spreading diseases and resulting in the death of multitudes.We now know that hands should be washed under running water.
● Job 38:35 (written 3,500 years ago):“Can you send out lightnings,that they may go,and say to you, ‘Here we are!’?” This appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent,and then manifest itself in speech.But did you know that radio waves move at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth.Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when “British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing”(Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia,Vol.12).
● Isaiah 40:22 (written 2,800 years ago):“It is He who sits above the circle of the earth.” The Bible informs us here that the earth is round.This is not a reference to a flat disk,as some skeptics maintain,but to a sphere.At a time when science believed that the earth was flat,it was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world.He wrote:“It was the Lord who put it into my mind.I could feel His hand upon me…there is no question the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit because He comforted me with rays of marvelous illumination from the Holy Scriptures…” (from his diary,in reference to his discovery of“the New World”).
● Job 38:19 (written 3,500 years ago):“Where is the way to the dwelling of light?” Man has only in recent centuries discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a “way,”traveling at 186,000 miles per second.
● Genesis 1:1,2 (written 3,500 years ago):“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth… And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” Science expresses the universe in five terms: time,space,matter,power,and motion.“In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heavens [space] and the earth [matter]…And the Spirit ofGod was hovering [motion] over the face of the waters.”The first thing God tells man is that He controls all aspects of the universe.
● Psalm 8:8:“…and the fish of the sea that pass through the paths of the seas.” Man discovered the existence of ocean currents in the 1850s,but the Bible declared the science of oceanography thousands of years ago.Matthew Maury (1806–1873),considered the father of oceanography,noticed the expression “paths of the sea”in Psalm 8.“If God said there are paths in the sea,” Maury said,“I am going to find them.”He took God at His word and went looking for these paths,and we are indebted to him for discovering the warm and cold continental currents.His book on oceanography remains a basic text on the subject and is still used in universities.
● Jonah 2:6 (written 2,800 years ago):“I went down to the moorings of the mountains…” When Jonah was in the depths of the ocean,he spoke of going down to the bottoms of the mountains. Only in recent years has man discovered that there are mountains on the ocean floor.The greatest ocean depth has been measured in the Mariana Trench,at around 36,000 feet below sea level.By contrast,Mount Everest is about 29,000 feet high.
● Amos 9:6 (written 2,800 years ago):“He…calls for the waters ofthe sea,and pours them out on the face of the earth—the Lord is His name.” The Mississippi River dumps over six million gallons of water per second into the Gulf of Mexico. Where does all that water go? And that’s just one of thousands of rivers.The answer lies in the hydrologic cycle,so well brought out in the Bible.The Scriptures inform us,“All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full;to the place from which the rivers come,there they return again”(Ecclesiastes 1:7). Psalm 135:7 tells us that God “causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth.”Ecclesiastes 11:3 states that “if the clouds are full of rain,they empty themselves upon the earth.”The idea of a complete water cycle was not fully understood until the seventeenth century,but 2,400 years earlier the Scriptures clearly spoke of a water cycle.
● Ecclesiastes 1:6:“The wind goes toward the south,and turns around to the north;the wind whirls about continually,and comes again on its circuit.” The wind does indeed have a “circuit.”The Bible described this cycle of air currents almost three thousand years before scientists discovered them.
● Job 38:12,14 (written 3,500 years ago):“Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place…? It [the earth] takes on form like clay under a seal,and stands out like a garment.” Modern science has come to understand that the earth’s rotation on its axis is responsible for the sun’s rising and setting.The picture here is of a clay vessel being turned or rotated on the potter’s wheel—an accurate analogy of the earth’s rotation.
● Psalm 19:4–6:“In them He has set a tabernacle for the sun,which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber…Its rising is from one end of heaven,and its circuit to the other end;and there is nothing hidden from its heat.” Bible critics have scoffed at these verses,claiming they teach that the sun revolves around the earth. Scientists once thought the sun was stationary.Then it was discovered in recent years that the sun is in fact moving through space at approximately 600,000 miles per hour.It is traveling through the heavens and has a “circuit”just as the Bible says.Its circuit is so large that it would take an estimated 200 million years to complete one orbit.
● Genesis 2:1 (after creation):“Thus the heavens and the earth,and all the host of them,were finished.” The original Hebrew uses the past definite tense for the verb “finished,”indicating an action completed in the past,never again to occur.The creation was “finished”—once and for all.That is what the First Law of Thermodynamics states: that neither matter nor energy can be either created or destroyed. There is no “creation”ongoing today.It is “finished”exactly as the Bible declares.
● Hebrews 1:10,11 (written 2,000 years ago):“You,Lord,in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,and the heavens are the work ofYour hands.They will perish,but You remain;and they will all grow old like a garment.” Three times the Bible says that the earth is wearing out.This is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics (the law of increasing entropy) states: that in all physical processes,every ordered system over time tends to become more disordered.Everything is running down and wearing out as energy is becoming less and less available for use.That means the universe will eventually “wear out”to the extent that (theoretically speaking) there will be a “heat death”and therefore no more energy available for use.This wasn’t discovered by man until fairly recently,but the Bible states it in clear,succinct terms.
● Genesis 17:12:“He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised,every male child in your generations…” The Bible consistently says that male infants must be circumcised on the eighth day,because this is the day that the coagulating factor in the blood,called prothrombin,is the highest.Medical science has discovered that this is when the human body’s immune system is at its peak.
● Genesis 3:15:“And I will put enmity between you and the woman,and between your seed and her seed;it shall bruise your head,and you shall bruise his heel.” This verse reveals that a female possesses the “seed of life.”This was not the common knowledge until a few centuries ago.It was widely believed that only the male possessed the “seed of life”and that the woman was nothing more than a glorified incubator.
● Isaiah 40:22 (written 2,800 years ago):“It is He who…stretches out the heavens like a curtain,and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.” Scientists now know that the universe is expanding,or stretching out.At least seven times in Scripture we are clearly told that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain. These scientific and prophetic facts prove that the Bible is no ordinary book; it is supernatural in origin,as it so often claims.It is the Word of God,stating “Thus says the Lord”3,800 times.There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Bhagavad Gita,Vedas,Quran,Book of Mormon,etc.) that contain perfectly accurate prophetic and scientific truth.In fact,they contain statements that are clearly erroneous and unscientific.
The facilities for Nerv Headquarters were constructed in a mysterious, giant, underground space existing beneath Tokyo-3. It is a hemispherical cavity with a diameter of 6 km and a height of 0.9 km, but 89% of it is currently buried. Sunlight is sent in by optical fibers from a light-condensing block on the surface, maintaining a level of brightness comparable to that on the surface. Although Nerv facilities are nearly the only things being constructed, there are also evacuation shelters for civilians.
In addition to the Geofront where Nerv Headquarters is located, there was one at the South Pole. Moreover, the First Angel, designated “Adam”, was discovered within it.
The Geofronts’ true identities are the “Black Moon”, where Nerv Headquarters is located, and the “White Moon” at the South Pole. Lilith is in the Black Moon, and Adam is in the White.
Initially, the White Moon — containing Adam — fell to Earth. The Black Moon, which originally should have gone to a different solar system, was captured by Earth’s gravity, and, after it crashed into the Earth’s surface and bounced, it became a satellite orbiting the planet. It left behind only its ruins and remained in the heavens, and Lilith, the Seed that the Black Moon had carried, was implanted into Earth. Lilith’s landing site is believed to have been in the vicinity of what is now called the South Pole, but it was later moved by tectonic plates, ultimately as far as the Hakone region of Japan. That site is the giant cavern of Hakone, and the future Nerv Headquarters would be constructed here.
she kinda wrote a lot of meh stuff on her LJ back in the day (the stuff about Japan? oh boy…). she also wrote this very intense “I hate myself for being fat” post years ago where she basically implies that to be beautiful is to not be fat. I could really give a full analysis of that post and why I think it’s more about a person who is fatphobic than about denouncing our society’s fatphobia, but idk that’s too much effort. i will say there is one sentence there about malnourishment that I find shocking. it’s less shocking than everything she has to say about Japan though.
“She decorated herself with protobiont bodies and danced in the sulfurous pre-oxygenation event paradise. She was utterly whole, without striations or cracks in her geologic record, a compressed totality of possible futures. The centrifugal obsidian knife of heaven broke free from its orbit around a Lagrange point and lacerated Coatlicue’s hands, causing her to give birth to the great impact event which came to be called Coyolxauhqui, the moon, and to several male versions of herself, who became the stars.”
I’m hoping she worked on her writing because if the new MEA novel is 250 pages of this I’m going to cry. And obviously that’s just a personal opinion, some people really like that kind of prose, but not me.
I’m hoping she’ll surprise us in a good way though. And I don’t think they would let her do whatever with this story anyway, so there is that.
Why are you still here? Mithos could kill you, you know.
Yes, thanks for the reminder.
What were you doing?
Remembering. Thinking back to my travels with Mithos and Kratos and Martel.
That's right, you were with Mithos, weren't you?
How did that come about? What brought you all together?
Mithos's ideals reeked of naiveté. And Martel's relentless altruism was cloying beyond words.
I followed along with every intention of proving just what fools they were. But in the end, I was the one that wound up coming around. Mithos always kept his eyes ahead. Martel suffered any pain or adversity with a smile. They were- they were a lot like you and the Chosen, Lloyd.
Me and Mithos. You think?
Heed my words, Lloyd. Mithos was not born an evil man. Even now, to those who believe in his grand age, he is a savior.
All things in this world are subjective. One man's justice is another's crime.
Take even his decision to split the world in two. His aim was to shield all life from extinction. It was a choice made with the noblest of intentions.
What?! There's not a single good thing about it!
The great tree Kharlan was gone, withered by the Ancient War. The only source of mana great enough to revive it lay not in the world, but far above it. In the comet, Derris-Kharlan, circling the planet on a hundred-year orbit. And so Mithos attempted to tether the comet in place within the heavens.
And that's got something to do with ripping the world in half?
Mana had all but vanished from the world. The land itself was dying. All that remained was a thin trickle seeping from the Great Seed. Far from enough to sustain an entire world. So Mithos halved that burden. He came up with a system whereby both halves would take turns relying on the Great Seed's mana.
That was his reason for splitting the world in two? Not merely to halt the advance of Magitechnology?
Correct. He needed to buy time until the Great Seed germinated. But then, when Derris-Kharlan arrived to rain down its centennial bounty on the land--Mankind betrayed him.
What? Why?! They were trying to save the world!
Greed is a powerful force. There were those who wanted the mana to themselves. And so Martel was killed, and merged with the Great Seed, and Mithos--Mithos became a fallen hero.
All men are born with a shadow in their hearts, boy. You are no exception. Enough reminiscing. I will leave this place. I suggest you do the same.
“I believe every particle of dust dancing in a sunbeam does not move an atom more or less than God wishes, that every particle of ocean spray has its orbit as well as the sun in the heavens, that winnowing chaff is as steered as the stars in their courses, that an aphid’s creeping over a rosebud is as fixed as the march of the devastating pestilence, that the fall of poplar leaves is as fully ordained as the tumbling of an avalanche.”
μήνην ἀείδειν τανυσίπτερον ἔσπετε, Μοῦσαι,
ἡδυεπεῖς κοῦραι Κρονίδεω Διός, ἵστορες ᾠδῆς:
ἧς ἄπο αἴγλη γαῖαν ἑλίσσεται οὐρανόδεικτος
κρατὸς ἀπ᾽ ἀθανάτοιο, πολὺς δ᾽ ὑπὸ κόσμος ὄρωρεν
αἴγλης λαμπούσης: στίλβει δέ τ᾽ ἀλάμπετος ἀὴρ
χρυσέου ἀπὸ στεφάνου, ἀκτῖνες δ᾽ ἐνδιάονται,
εὖτ᾽ ἂν ἀπ᾽ Ὠκεανοῖο λοεσσαμένη χρόα καλόν,
εἵματα ἑσσαμένη τηλαυγέα δῖα Σελήνη,
ζευξαμένη πώλους ἐριαύχενας, αἰγλήεντας,
ἐσσυμένως προτέρωσ᾽ ἐλάσῃ καλλίτριχας ἵππους,
ἑσπερίη, διχόμηνος: ὃ δὲ πλήθει μέγας ὄγμος
λαμπρόταταί τ᾽ αὐγαὶ τότ᾽ ἀεξομένης τελέθουσιν
οὐρανόθεν: τέκμωρ δὲ βροτοῖς καὶ σῆμα τέτυκται.
Continue, and sing of the long-winged moon, o Muses,
sweet-speeched daughters of Zeus Kronos’ son, scientists of song:
radiance visible in heaven spirals over the earth
from her immortal brow, and great elegance starts
from her brilliant gleam: the unlit air glitters
from her golden wreath, and her beams linger,
when, after bathing her lovely skin in Ocean,
clothing herself in far-shining robes, divine Selene,
yoking dazzling foals with arched necks,
impetuously drives her lovely-maned horses forth
at eventide, dividing the month: her great orbit is full
and her rays are brightest from heaven as she waxes:
then she is a fixed mark and a sign to mortals.
what she means:
seventeen is appearing on weekly idol next week they are going to be playing the paper kissing game my heart is beating faster than you can say are you kimbap kidding me i will launch myself into earth’s orbit at maximum velocity because my soul has already ascended to heaven goodbye friends i am gone
Barnard’s Star seen moving against the cosmic background.
Although it appears otherwise when looking up at the night sky, every object in the cosmos is actually moving. As a result of the Big Bang and gravity, stars are whizzing through space at astounding speeds - in fact, our own sun is orbiting the center of the Milky Way galaxy. But this motion through the heavens is not easily visible due to the sheer distances away most stars are from us.
However, Barnard’s star is an exception. Located just six light years from Earth, Barnard’s star is actually moving closer to our own star system and will pass within four light years roughly 8,000 years from now.
Due to its motion towards us and location in the sky, Barnard’s star has the highest apparent motion of any star in the sky, moving at roughly 10.3 arcseconds per year. Over the course of an average human life, about 72 years, the star will have moved roughly half the diameter of the full moon across the night sky.
The gifset above was taken by astronomer Rick Johnson, who imaged the star once a year for nine years. In them, Barnard’s Star moved about 92.7 arcseconds in the sky.
Barnard’s star is one of the few stars where we can observe this apparent motion. To capture any others, we’d have to be taking repetitive pictures for centuries.
Martianus Capella (5th century)
De nuptiis Philologiæ et Mercurii, 11th century
Florence, Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana, San Marco 190, f. 102r
This work, by Carthaginian lawyer Martianus Capella, introduces a different world system from the one devised by Ptolemy. The Moon, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn orbit around the Earth, while Mercury and Venus orbit around the Sun.