bencutio modern au headcanons?
OMG YES I’M ACTUALLY PLANNING ON WRITING A FF ABT THIS:
- so, romeo and mercutio have been best friends since childhood, right, and growing up, mercutio develops romantic feelings, of sorts, for Romeo
- Romeo is, obviously, the most popular cliche heterosexual™ guy in their high school who loves Mercutio dearly but platonically; Mercutio realizes this and abandons any hope of their relationship ever getting anywhere other than what they share currently. However, he still helplessly gets jealous of the girls Romeo falls for/brings home sometimes, and Romeo, in his almost stupid obliviousness keeps causing Mercutio more and more pain
- and then one day, Romeo’s cousin moves to Verona because his parents died (dramatic, I know, but this is R&J we’re talking about) and turns Mercutio’s world upside down
- He is absolutely gorgeous and, to Mercutio’s utter wonder, innocent.
- Mercutio comes over a lot to Romeo’s and so notices that the guy is an anomaly in a world of angry, hormonal teenagers - he respects his uncle & aunt to no end, reads book after book, and is overall just a soft boy™ who sometimes has blue paint on his face and looks sad when he thinks no one is looking. Mercutio is usually the only one who does notice.
- When Mercutio learns his name he thinks it fits him perfectly. Benvolio. A good-will. He sometimes absentmindedly scribbles the name on the edges of his book when he’s thinking, and turns beet-red when he realizes that he has.
- None of the arrogance and selfishness that even the nicest of boys his age all seem to possess can be found in Benvolio, and when he talks, Mercutio feels that if he ever curses, it would sound like prayers
- and they talk a lot, and they eat together and dance together and sing together and play basketball together when Romeo is not around
- Benvolio never hides or shies away from the feelings he forms for Mercutio over time, much to Mercutio’s annoyance - his name was not meant to be uttered by lips that seem to emit light and virtue.
- As a defense mechanism, he starts talking endlessly about Romeo or some girl whenever he’s with Benvolio, doing the same thing to Benvolio that he had gone through with Romeo all these years
- Benvolio’s love and affection never wavers, though, and he continues to love Mercutio through all his pain – he’s used to it by now
- Mercutio hates himself for this but knows if he ever gives in, Benvolio, despite all his goodness, would leave him soon because he will undoubtedly realize he has chosen the wrong person - and then Mercutio would be worse off than he is now
- They were both in pain before they met, a little more wouldn’t hurt
- When they are together, just Benvolio and Mercutio, Benvolio talking about something he likes or being engrossed in a book, Mercutio thinks he could kiss him. It would be so easy. He would be able to taste Benvolio’s sweet scent of paint and chocolate. But he never does.
- Their first kiss is their last, as Mercutio dies in Benvolio’s arms. There is no way he can leave me now, Mercutio thinks, for I am leaving him.
- “You saved me,” Mercutio says as he goes.
- Benvolio returns the words to a lifeless body.