replied to your
They’re easily in my top 3 favorite bands! Likewise, the song “Crystals” from that same album makes me think of Ruby and Sapphire.
gosh, me too! They probably are my #1 favorite band at the moment (Beneath the Skin is one of the only albums that I listen to entirely without skipping a song) and that might be why I associate so many of their songs with SU (since that’s my #1 favorite show so I’m always thinking about it) but also so many of the songs seem to fit so well!
I can definitely see that with Crystals, I’ve always really strongly associated that song with Fusion. In fact, I’ve been wanting to do a music video for it about Fusion, but I’m waiting for Steven to fuse with Garnet and Pearl first (ideally, I’d like to also see the Rose Fusions with Garnet and Amethyst too, but I can work it without those)
I associate almost every song on the album with something SU related:
- Crystals - Fusion (specifically Fusion among the Crystal Gems)
- Human - Rose, particularly Rose becoming Steven
- Hunger - Pearl, regarding her feelings for Rose (specifically after Rose is gone)
- Wolves Without Teeth - Ruby and Sapphire (this song can be taken negatively I think, but I interpret it in the positive sense)
- Empire - nothing in particular, I just really love the “Heavy stones fear no weather” line for the Crystal Gems
- Slow Life - Malachite/Lapis and Jasper, mostly for lines like “You caught me in the tide / And I caught you”
- Black Water - Lapis. This is THE Lapis song to me, I want to make a music video of it
- I of the Storm - Rose, of course