One of my HONEY pendants filled full of rare insect inclusions in Chiapas amber. Estimated age on amber from this region is 24-26 million years. These insects were frozen in time inside of fossilized resin, which has been cut and carved to make each one a unique display specimen.
Pieces like this are why I do what I do. There’s nothing more fulfilling for me than the challenge of making something unique and one of a kind for someone that is excited to own and wear it.
this next photo set i was trying to get all the ways these gorilla glass dichorics change color depending on lighting and angle (havn’t gotten the intense outdoor color yet). soo glad i got ahold of these. XD
Ulu Knife :: Guatemalan Jadeite, Olivewood, Beeswax, Hemp
The ‘Ulu’ is a traditional Inuit/Eskimo utilitarian knife (Ulu means “woman’s knife”) used for everything from sewing to processing wild game for food.
I had a lot of fun making this. Most of my stone work is dedicated to jewelry, so it was a nice change of pace to work on a different form and build an artful functional object. For scale, the blade is 4" across. Yes, it’s (very) sharp.
This will be in the February show at Glitch Gallery in Richmond, VA.
Just ordered a mother of pearl septum ring and one made of this beautiful green wood. And a brass one with a laboradite stone set into it is on it’s way. Finally getting to start my collection of beautiful septum jewelry!
This 9mm black Guatemalan jadeite labret contains a 1ct (6mm) swiss blue topaz in a hardware-only (no adhesive) prong setting. It is, as far as we know, the only labret in the world that has a stone-in-stone hardware setting with no glue and no hole drilled all the way through the piece. I did this with cabochons last year (two settings in the same piece, actually - eyes for a Prehispanic style eagle labret) and this is the first faceted piece.
I shifted to building jewelry made from natural materials without glue in 2008, and it took 6 years to work out a way to build a fully self contained setting with no hole drilled for a rivet. My first versions of these labrets had a flush back-plate sealed off with a silicone o-ring on the interior, but that wasn’t good enough.