I’m a one-woman Ron Swanson Defense League.
I seriously don’t understand how that character was reinterpreted as a mean, unsmiling, hyper-herterosexual, anti-feminist, heartless jerk.
Is he a firm believer in capitalism and a staunch libertarian? Sure. Does he not much care for fussy things? Of course. Does he eat a lot of meat? Naturally.
But over seven seasons we met a man with a heart as big as the Grand Canyon, his own hobbies and interests (which he talks about with a smile on his face), he becomes a better husband and supportive, albeit sometimes clumsy, father.
His relationships with the women is his life are as varied as the women themselves. With the exception of his ex-wives, he is forthright, respectful, mentoring and supportive.
Leslie and Ron are the perfect extrovert/introvert dynamic. They work their own ways, but the mutual respect and admiration carries the day.
A selection of best Ron moments:
1. “Don’t half-ass two things, whole ass one thing”
2. Renovating the 6th floor of City Hall with his infant son.
3. Pretty much the whole Season 7 arc
4. The Dorothy Every Time Smurf Award for Excellence In Female Stuff
5. Ron helping solve the scavenger hunt Leslie gave Ben
6. Giving Leslie away at her wedding
7. Bonding with Andy when April is sick with the flu
8. Snake Juice!Ron
9. Parenting April and Andy
10. “Any other damn thing you might need.”
Leslie is the heart of the show, but Ron is its moral compass.