what's your favorite scene in Carol?
Too many of them to pick just one, to be honest. Here’s a few:
1. The scene where Carol and Therese are leaving on their road trip, and it’s snowing, and “Silver Bells” is playing. There’s just something so beautiful, sanguine, and nostalgic about it all at the same time. One of my favorite scenes in any film ever.
2. Before their big love scene, the way Carol unties her robe and lets it just fall open while looking at Therese in the mirror. I completely lost my breath the first time I watched the film. It’s such a meaningful gesture; like Carol is offering herself to Therese as well, making herself vulnerable.
3. The “we’re not ugly people, Harge” scene. Carol standing up for herself and being brave enough to live her truth no matter what the cost makes my heart swell up with pride and ache at the same time. The way Cate plays that whole scene, and especially her delivery of that line, just rips my heart out. She was robbed of the Academy Award for this role, I swear.
4. Both scenes where Carol says “flung out of space.” It was brilliant to have her reiterate that sentiment during their love scene.
5. Of course, the ending. Carol’s expression at the end when she sees Therese coming towards her says it all. Cate’s a master at just acting with the eyes/facial expressions, and this end scene, with the incredible score playing in the background, and that smile that slowly spreads across Carol’s face, and the way her eyes light up and smile all by themselves sends chills down my spine.
There are so many more, (basically the whole film) but these have to be my top five favorites. This is my favorite film, and I’m just so grateful to everyone that had a hand in bringing this magnificent and moving love story to life.