why everyone should read 'rivers of london'/'the peter grant series' by ben aaronovitch
• it has been described as “harry potter for adults” but only if harry potter had actual, decent diversity
• if you like the works of terry pratchett or neil gaiman, you’ll love it
• the main character is peter grant, a biracial london police officer who one day accidentally interrogates a ghost and things just kinda go a bit wild from here
• the goddesses of the rivers of london are p much all badass black women (these characters also inspired one of my favourite songs)
• sahra “muslim ninja” guleed, the woman who joined the police on a dare, is the best thing to ever happen to me
• lgbtq+ characters are never used for shock value or tokenised and are treated the same as the cis, straight characters
• there’s a muslim trans woman of colour who can fly!!!
• it’s told from peter’s pov and he constantly calls white people out on their shit i love him
• deals with themes of ethics and immortality
• it’s genuinely entertaining and the suspense is great and i love it
• harry potter would have been much better if, on his first day at hogwarts, harry said “fuck me, i can do magic”
remember when dick wattpad tried to get harry to say that basically edm music sucked with the sole purpose to make him dig at louis and harry was like it’s actually one of my favourite genres and some of my favourite songs are edm i like that (subtext: fuck you twat i know what you tried to do)
Or just reasons to love him. (From the POV of a Yoongi stan)
raps faster than the speed of light. hella control over his voice
plays the piano
amazing on stage; in his element
his mixtape saved hiphop. saved lives. saved the world goddamn Yoongi
AGUSTD - Intro: Dt sugA (ft. DJ Friz) - AgustD - give it to me -skit -724148 -140503 at dawn -The Last -Tony Montana (ft. Yankie) -Interlude ; Dream, Reality -so far away (ft. Suran)
he produced the entire thing. it didn’t feel like individual tracks on an album. it felt very complete, in a way i’ve never seen before.
released this masterpiece to the world for free; on soundcloud, on a google drive, on mediafire, on spotify…
He had no problematic lyrics on his mixtape. He doesn’t imitate or glorify modern American hiphop. There are no meaningless lyrics, no misogyny, no materialism or racial slurs. Instead, he talks about himself and builds on that.
worked on his mixtape in between his schedule. sometimes while on the plane, sometimes while working on other music for BTS.
Has a polar bear protection bracelet. Really likes polar bears.
was the happiest person in the world when he met Kumamon it was all too adorable
Very socially aware. Wants to use his fame to shift people’s attention to global problems.
When he and Taehyung got sick and were rushed to the hospital, they ended up having to cancel the concert in Kobe. During his vacation time, he went to the stadium they were supposed to perform in by himself and wrote a post about it in the fancafe. He sat in the seats of the stadium and forced himself to imagine the fans’ emotions on the day that was supposed to be the concert. He wrote a long apology. He felt so guilty it kept him awake every night since the incident. He didn’t know what else to do. He promised never to let the fans down again and to work harder.
works from from 12 am - 6 am on music. even after a full day of training or concert preparation or filming. only to sleep for 2 or 3 hours or not at all to start the next day. sleeps whenever he gets the chance. gives the day’s events his full energy regardless.
when BTS had to pack for their backpacking trip through Europe, he was the one that remembered to pack medicine and first aid supplies. he cleaned up before leaving the hotel room. helped cook. was in charge of their budget.
wrote/composed/produced some of BTS’s best songs: -Tomorrow -Nevermind -Intro (HYYH pt. 1) -Dead Leaves -Fun Boyz -Just One Day -Let Me Know -Paldogangsan (with Hoseok & Namjoon) -Cypher pt 1, 2, & 3 (with Hoseok & Namjoon)
participates in the making of almost every BTS song
he looks gorgeous in every hair colour he’s literally so beautiful
once said he would sue Bighit if his hair started falling out lmao
his smile that shows his gums
laughs in 10 different ways
his voice sounds beautiful in Whalien52 aka one of my favourite songs
in the song “Move” he dedicated his section to his mom, who was sick after she gave birth to him
in “If I ruled the world” he dreams, if he could have anything, it would be to buy a house for his family
danced around his studio in the early hours of the morning when “Nevermind” was approved to be the intro of HYYH pt.2
really likes lamb skewers. Wants to open a lamb skewer restaurant with Jungkook
his only goal is to make music that gives people emotions (comfort). the root of his passion, goes back to when he started making music at the age of 13.
his dream was to perform at Olympic Gymnastics Arena. At the end of the concert, he looked for his parents and brother in the crowd. When he saw them, he smiled and got on the floor to do a deep bow, the kind where your forehead touches the ground. This is when he sobbed for the first time at a concert.
at fansigns, fans get to write them a question. “What’s more important? Face or body?” is asked a lot, not just to BTS but all Kpop groups. Yoongi is the only one that writes a third option, “Personality” and circles it and writes that it is the most important. He does this every time the question comes up.
When given the question, “What type of girl?” or “What type of style do you like in a girl?” He circles all of them.
his ideal type is someone who likes music and someone he can communicate with. there are never any other specifications.
when asked for the ideal weight in a girl, he writes a ridiculous number
when asked what age difference he would date, he wrote “81 years” lol
tells everyone to eat well and take care of themselves. loves his fans more than anything.
extremely open-minded person
when he and Namjoon were being disrespected by Bfree during an interview, he stayed calm and handled the situation well. Then proceeded to drAG THE HELL OUT OF HIM IN CYPHER PT. 2
the “S” in Suga stands for “Savage”
literally sarcastic all the time
“If we’re talking about regrets you should think of some of your past selcas” - to Jimin
king of “I meant to do that”
the time he and Hoseok reacted to a “Try not to laugh challenge” of their own members and Yoongi laughed so hard he choked
his existence is pretty much art in itself
the thing he does when his members are doing something embarrassing and he just curls up and covers his face
“Min Suga. Genius. Those two words should be enough. *shrugs*”
“I want to reincarnate and be a rock in my next lifetime”
“I’m Father Louis Williams Suga Adams the Third”
“I’m good at doing ugly stuff”
“I was destined to be taller, but there were some errors in my development.”
“I’d like to introduce you to my lover…this neckpillow"
“I’ve always wanted to nap in a different country”
on his first birthday after he debuted, he spent his own money to make small gifts for his fans and hand-wrote over 300 notes for the fans that were going to come to see him on his birthday. he spent a long time because he wanted to make each note different. at the event, he got embarrassed because “it’s not much but I hope you all like it”. he learned that instead of 300, 350 came and he made 50 more to send to them.
the next year, he made packages again but this time with transportation cards so the fans could use them when they came to see them. hand-written letters again, signed polaroids and ordered special envelopes.
gave Jimin his credit card to charge the passes with, and when Jimin jokingly said he’s going to spend his money on snacks, Yoongi unhesitatingly said “Okay”
he did something again this year, but just didn’t vlog about it.
took pictures of Jungkook at his graduation like he was a proud parent
the time when he and Hoseok lost a game and didn’t get dinner. Jimin brought them a crab from their table, and Yoongi let Hoseok have it. “Seeing my dongsaeng eat makes me feel full."
Bangtan love him. They say Yoongi takes care of them well, especially his dongsaengs. He’s the one that silently takes care of them all.
The time Yoongi took Jimin out to eat sushi, and while Jimin was tying his shoes, Yoongi paid and told him they could go. "Of course, I’m the hyung."
says his members are his closest friends. says Bighit is like a family
when Hoseok was celebrating New Years alone in the dorms, Yoongi left his family and showed up with chicken just so Hoseok wouldn’t have to spend new years by himself
Maschine mk2 review what a nerd
that time he tried to install a music editing software and ranted for 10 years on the fancafe because technology is problematic
that one time Yoongi got really passionate about coffee and said he needed 309 people to help him "catch” coffee
does reviews and gives insight on all of BTS’s albums
the time he sang his heart out with Hoseok for “I was able to eat well” and sounded terrible
the time they had a high note challenge and Yoongi sang so “high” that no noise came out
so extra. all the time.
“the director said it would only take 5 minutes. It’s been exactly 4 minutes and 58 seconds"
that time he had to introduce himself and pulled confetti out of his pocket and threw it over himself
but also unamused
he is a paradox
“I want to go baaaaaaaack”
easily put in his place by Jin, his hyung. But also ignores all of his jokes.
cannot dance for his life (literally flailing in DOPE) but is a really good dancer (FIRE ????)
he just works hard
unhesitatingly kicked Jimin in the balls when he started dancing over his legs while he was trying to sleep. didn’t even wake up.
that time Taehyung was really nervous on stage and kept stuttering and messing up his words. the members laughed and poked fun at him, but Yoongi shushed them and the audience and told Taehyung to breathe and relax and start again. This time Taehyung didn’t stutter
literally a deadass person at the awards show until Namjoon was up next to perform and Yoongi couldn’t stop being hyped and looking for him
makes fun of his members all the time but always makes sure they’re comfortable
witty but never crude
says he’s not always the best at expressing himself verbally, but wants everyone to know he is always thankful
kindest, bravest, strongest person to ever grace this earth. blesses the lives of everyone he touches
There are certain things I didn’t include in there, because they are a part of his mixtape and I think that speaks for itself.
- DATE. YOUR. WORK. I can’t stress enough how much this can really help. If you date all the worksheets and handouts that you’re given, it’ll make it so much easier to keep everything in order so you can find it when exam time comes around.
- I like to have just the essentials when I go to classes. So for me, that’s a notebook (two for maths subjects- a summary book and a workbook), a clear plastic pocket, my pencil case, my laptop, my planner, a water bottle and, if I can’t keep a PDF of it on my laptop, my textbook. I use the plastic pocket to store all the loose handouts I receive, and I find it much easier than using a binder or something big and heavy. Once it gets filled up, I just get another one and use double-sided tape to stick the two together.
- Adding on to the last point- if you can, keep all your textbooks digital and leave the hard copies at home. Your arms and back will thank you, and sometimes online copies have additional study material which can be a bonus.
- It’s not a source of embarrassment to study. If you want to study, go to the library and study. Find a spare table in the cafeteria and study. Pull out your phone and read through your notes on there. Enhancing yourself is not something to be ashamed of.
- However, ensure that you are spending enough time relaxing and having fun with your friends. Downtime is important. It keeps you focused and happy, and gives you a break from all the stress.
- UTILISE YOUR TEACHERS. They are the ones who know the course inside-out. Most times, speaking to them can really help you.
- Prioritise. I know this seems obvious, but it can be something that’s really hard to do. Remember- you are your biggest priority.
- Find out what works for you. You don’t have to fit into any category. Study however you want- if that’s in Starbucks, so be it. If that’s in a huge quiet library, so be it. If that’s in your favourite Indian restaurant, so be it. I have a friend whose sister used to sneak into the detention room during lunchtimes just so she could do her work in peace. Whatever works for you.
- Try to look over your notes at least once every night. It really does help.
- Don’t waste your holidays.
- Don’t waste your nights, either. When you have no homework, CATCH UP. We’re all behind on something. I know.
- Find a study buddy. Having someone else there to motivate you can be extremely beneficial.
- I don’t listen to music with lyrics while I study, because the words distract me from my work and disrupt my thought processes. It sounds cliché, but classical music can really calm you down when you feel the rising panic of an overdue assignment. One of my favourite songs to listen to is “Salut d’amour, Op. 12″ by Edward Elgar.
- TO-DO LISTS REALLY HELP ME. They motivate me and push me to finish them, because ticking off boxes is just so satisfying.
- Keep a spare pencil case with pens, pencils, an eraser, and a ruler in your locker.
- Always bring a drink bottle to school, and aim to finish it. It does wonders for your skin and helps with headaches.
- Set goals. It’s so much easier to reach big goals when you set a series of realistic, small ones that lead up towards your ultimate dream.
That’s all I can think of right now! Please let me know if you enjoyed this post or if it helped you in any way, or if you have any other questions you want to ask (ask box and messages are always open, though I am by no means an expert) (I’ll try my best though). Thanks for reading!!
Request: “Love your writing!! Can you write a Shawn imagine about him being nervous about meeting your family for the first time and he ends up feeling sick the whole way there but you tell him to just relax and it’s just nerves but once you get there later that night he just continues to feel worse and worse and ends up falling really ill and you feel bad for him and take care of him?? And maybe he’s embarrassed about being sick at your parents house??“
Pairing: Shawn Mendes x reader/female character Rating: General audience Words: 1353
John Mayer is playing softly on the radio as they speed past the trees on the side of the highway. Shawn buttons and unbuttons the top button of his shirt in the side view mirror for what feels like the hundredth time. They’re getting closer to her parents’ house and he can feel his stomach turn at the thought of standing in front of them for the first time. He looks hesitantly at the tie in his clammy palms every few seconds.
“Do I have to wear the tie?” he groans. “I feel like I’m already in danger of asphyxiation with this shirt collar.”
“If I have to wear this dress, you have to wear that tie,” she says, eyeing the piece of silk in his lap. “Besides, it was your idea.” She receives nothing but a pitiful expression in response. “Fine,” she gives in. “But you’re helping me out of this damn thing when we get back home.” She rolls her eyes when she sees the smug smile on his face. “Not like that! This dress is tight as hell and I’m going to need help taking it off.”
“Oh, so no sex?” Shawn smirks at her. She smiles and shakes her head as she puts on the blinker and turns onto a smaller road.