How is The Martian? I haven't gotten around to reading it
Honestly, I love it. I finished it first listening to it. And the reader, R.C. Bray is really phenomenal at reading.
But I just had so much fun going through Mark Watney’s life on Mars. There are some seriously good quotes that came out of it. For example:
- “Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.”
- “Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. “Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”
- “If ruining the only religious icon I have leaves me vulnerable to Martian vampires, I’ll have to risk it.”
- “They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially ‘colonised’ it. So technically, I colonised Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”
- “I’m calling it the Watney Triangle because after what I’ve been through, shit on Mars should be named after me.”
- “Everything went great right up to the explosion.”
- “I’m space paparazzi now. The attitude comes with the job.”
- “Once I got home, I sulked for a while. All my brilliant plans foiled by thermodynamics. Damn you, Entropy!”
And for real, the science part of this book is amazing. Weir did an amazing job when he researched the book. He literally did “science the shit out of it”.
I’m just in awe of how much I enjoyed this book. Tho, in considering the amount of swearing, sarcasm and general hilarious shenanigans it shouldn’t have been surprising.