A letter to my freshman self
- No, sweetheart, you don’t hate being in the science stream, you just hate how all the subjects are presented. Science is fucking amazing, and you’ll come to love chemistry in particular when you finally get a good teacher in senior year. So yeah, I know it kinda sucks now because it feels like you’re being forced to study something that isn’t your passion, but stick with it. You’ll come around to finding worth in them too.
- Be sure of yourself. I know that you’re going through a period where you’re still learning how to define your own identity, but when push comes to shove, you know yourself best. It’s totally okay that you don’t want to take add maths, even against the better judgement of your teachers and everyone else. Dropping it a year before finals is a lot better than quitting halfway through senior year (which in the end you did anyway).
- Adopt a growth mindset, and not just for your studies. For your writing, your poetry, your piano, every fucking thing under the sun you can think of – know that no one was born having innate skill and talent.
“All of these things come from hard work and that they are composed of a multitude of different things like self control, and empathy, and like, just building and re-enforcing neural pathways over and over again; and those are all things that psychology has proven are malleable.” – Hank Green
- YOUR CCA IS SO IMPORTANT DON’T PUSH IT ALL TO THE LAST YEAR TO GET MARKS IT WILL BE TOO LATE
- Yes, it’s okay to want to do something just because your friends are doing it too.
- Joining the prefectorial board is also one of the best decisions you will ever make.
- No matter how much you hate school right now, you’re gonna miss it once you’re out. Man, I wouldn’t have believed this either if I didn’t experience it myself. The comfort of settling into a meaningful routine, the feeling of purpose you get in your free time when you actually take the time out to study, your classmates (no matter how much they annoy you) and the memories you share… There’s just no replacing that.
- I’m only going to say this once, so listen carefully. It’s important, this one. You will be okay. Everything that you’re currently stressing out over – finals
(and seemingly impending doom), broken relationships, your youth group, your future – these things will come to pass. They’re by no means insurmountable. You give yourself a lot of shit for always slacking off, but it’s going to be okay. Despite what your anxiety tells you. Don’t sweat the small stuff, kiddo. You’re doing just fine.