How to happily Ask blog:
- Do you. Make an Ask blog about your favorite Pokemon, even if it’s an Eevee and there are already 50 Eevee blogs. Only complainers care, and they’re not worth your time anyway. Absolutely don’t let people tell you what characters and/or species should be on your blog. You may be interested in these characters if you’re lucky, but chances are, if it’s not something you want to do, it’s not going to work.
- Take your time. This is something I had to learn was okay for me to do. You don’t need to update every day. Or 24/7. Or every other week. You can let your blog sit for a month even. Doesn’t matter. Take your time. Ask blogs are for fun and you don’t owe anyone answers to Asks or plot updates or RP responses because you can’t snap your fingers and be done. Those things take time. People are generally patient; they will wait.
- Character count doesn’t matter. Have as many or as few characters as you want, because it’s your blog, you do what you want. And if you DO have a lot of characters, you can always put them on Ask rotation, that way you and your followers won’t be overwhelmed!
- Take a Hiatus if you need it. Your health is more important than your blog. Take care of yourself, mentally and physically. It can be as long or as short as you like. You can also be like me and be hella notorious for taking a Hiatus and IMMEDIATELY COMING OUT OF IT. Because apparently announcing that I’m going on Hiatus gives me a boost of inspiration for the blog I’m Hiatusing from. Don’t ask how that works Ihavenoflippinclue.
- If seeing other blogs update stresses you out, unfollow them. Please do not let yourself get stressed. There is a reason I follow a minimal amount of ask blogs. When I ran Wandering Fairy Twins I almost drove myself to the point of tears because I wasn’t updating as quickly as the other blogs. Please don’t stubbornly follow 500+ blogs. Follow your favorites. Unfollow everyone else. Seriously. You can always make a list of blogs you like and stalk them instead, like I do. Of course, if it doesn’t cause you stress, then don’t feel like you have to unfollow people either. I’m just speaking from personal experience, and I am happier following maybe 5 ask blogs and stalking everyone else. I really don’t care if they’re your BBF from 900 years ago, if seeing them update stresses you, unfollow them. Hell unfollow my blogs if they stress you out. Pls. Stalk me instead. I’d rather that you have less stress than me have 500+ followers.
- If you run multiple blogs, you don’t need to update them all at once. Section it out. And if you’re in the mood for doing stuff for one blog, but suddenly get a drive for another, update the one you suddenly have a drive for. And if a schedule works for you, you can do that too! You can even set aside certain days to work on specific things for specific blogs. Or work on all the references for your blogs at once. Whatever works for you.
- If you run multiple blogs, and it’s causing you stress, start dropping blogs. Do not make a blog for every new character you think of. Put them on a pre-existing blog. Move characters around. Merge blogs. Cut down on the amount of blogs you have. Sure, there’s no limit to how many Ask blogs you can have, but if it’s starting to be a problem, start letting go. You can always use those other characters for other things. But drop blogs. Save your info, your plots, etc, but drop some of those blogs. Doesn’t matter if it’s your most loved blog. Drop it. Say bye. It’s not worth your time if it’s causing you stress.
- Don’t be afraid to start a conversation. I apologize though because I’m bad at this, and so are a lot of other people. Tumblr’s messaging system makes it easier to interact with other bloggers though! Keep in mind that a lot of blogger’s can be busy, so they may not respond right away. That doesn’t mean they hate you. They might also be sleeping because Time Zone’s a bitch. But you can’t always wait for people to come to you. Just make sure you check the FAQ and Rules on each blog before you start reaching out. Some people may dislike being approached. Respect that.
- Having a friend circle in the community is okay. You do not need to be friends with everyone here. You don’t need to talk to everyone here, or send them asks, or start RPs, or anything else. If you find five people you click with and that’s it, then that’s it. You got those five people you click with and you are still awesome and cool and don’t let complainers being antsy about “popular” people not interacting with “unpopular” people get to you. You get your little circle and be happy with it. Or your medium circle. Or big circle, IDK man for all I know you are like super good friends with 300 people and you manage to plot with all of them and honestly YOU GO you do that. But I really can’t stress enough that you ARE NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE REQUIRED BY TUMBLR LAW to befriend / talk to / plot with / ship with / friendship with / meme with every last person in the Ask community. You are allowed to be picky. You are allowed to be picky. You are allowed to be picky. Nobody gets to be friends with you because they decided so and you’re a bitch/bastard if you aren’t friends with them. Block those people. Just no. Bye. Also don’t be that person. And if you aren’t accepted as anything more than an acquaintance move along my dude, move along. Being acquaintances is just as good as being friends. You don’t have be friends with everyone out there, having 900 friends does not mean you have shallow, meaningless friendships just like having 2 friends is not a direct reflection of your worth. Either way, you are worthy. And either way, you are amazing.
- Having a friend circle doesn’t mean you can’t interact with other people either. The friend circle is more in regards to who you click with, who you really like, and who you are ultimately able to plot with easily (or you do the thing where you just yell at each other in frustration because HOW DARE YOU GIVE ME FEELINGS). You can still send asks to anyone, and you can still start RPs with anyone, and you can still ask for asks from anyone (especially if they make a post that they’re sending out Asks. Get IN ON THAT).
- There will be people out there who dislike you. Or your art style. Or your writing style. Or your headcanons. Or your subspecies. Or your designs. Or your hyrbids. Or all of the above. Or none of the above. Or they dislike you just because they dislike you. They’ll complain about you. They’ll probably send you anon hate. Ignore them to the best of your ability - because you have more people who adore you. And if those dislikers ever send you hate, delete it. Get rid of it. Don’t post it, don’t give them that pleasure. Delete it so that they can sit and wait and agonise over the fact that their mean comments meant so little to you that you didn't even need to grace them with a response.
- Remember, you are cool, my dude. You are cool.
That’s everything I can think of O: