Hi Kylie!!! First thank you for being so nice and always answering asks you're literally so soft <3 <3 <3 I wanted to start a skin care routine but honestly the most I've used before was micellar water and idk what to use or how... any recs? I have dry skin if that helps!! and thank you again!!
firstly i would definite start off as small as possible! introduce one product at a time and give it at least a week (without adding other new stuff) to see how the product acts with your skin and you can easily identify if it’s causing breakouts!
here are some products i would personally suggest:
- oil cleanser: i swear by the oil cleansing method and it’s a really good way to clear your pores by massaging. i would definitely, definitely suggest if you wear makeup or sunscreen on the daily bc not only is it nice self care via massage, it’s more gentle / thorough than makeup wipes or micellar water. i currently use the shiseido perfect cleansing oil and i would recommend!
since you own a micellar water already, i’d recommend using that to clean the oil residue off after you emulsify.
- toner: i know micellar water is toted as a dual cleanser and toner, but i personally don’t find micellar water to be hydrating enough. i currently use the hada labo shirojyun lotion (dw, it is a toner despite the name) and i would recommend this one and the gokujyun lotion! (if you live in nz, you can find these at japan mart!)
- moisturiser: in korean beauty there is a ton of names of moisturisers depending on the consistency, but since you’re starting out i would start with one - i would suggest a gel cream or regular cream. i personally love the texture of gel creams and they’re great for oily / normal skin, but a heavier cream might be better for dry skin. my hg is the belif aqua bomb but it’s kinda expensive T___T
- sheet masks: honestly my fave, and a great way to relax and you can also pop in the fridge during summer and it’s so good for cooling down. these are basically the same as toner / essence tbh but it’s a fun activity so i’d still recommend it haha. my faves are the innisfree it’s real squeeze line and dr morita moisturising essence masks.
- sunscreen: some might not consider this as skincare but i think sunscreen is super important!! in nz where i live, the uv index is like 9 on a daily basis especially in summer, and btw you’re not safe in winter either if it snows where you live because snow reflects uv rays which means almost double the uv strength. ALSO even though a ton of foundations, etc. do contain spf just be aware that the spf makes up a super small portion of the formula of the foundation. you need ¼ of a teaspoon of direct spf (sunscreen) to have enough coverage and to get the same amount of protection you’d need to cake on the foundation heaps. (sorry for the rant lmao)
i’m really wary of tanning (because i wear glasses and i don’t wanna have a stupid glasses tan lol) and also skin diseases so i always wear sunscreen. asian brand sunscreens are my fave for the face because they tend to have elegant formulas are less thick and greasy than some western formulas. my current fave is the hado labo perfect uv gel for the face and then neutrogena ultra sheer for the body.