The Sound of Sexism
I’m a Sound Engineer and work in a few different areas of sound. After leaving an almost exclusively male college with some top lads, my career has been riddled with sexist comments.
- I’ve been told I carry a longboard (my mode of transport) for show and that I’m too weak to hold a boom.
- Equipment companies always look for a lad to sign off on stuff when they know I’m head of my crew.
- I’ve had actors say I’m a pain but have got great tits when they’re in for ADR.
- OH! And of course the worst ones “Hey, love, can you make us some teas? Our engineer must be running late, ta.” No, I’m here. I’ve been here for an hour, y'all are late.
- “So, are you here for experience/are you an intern/are you an assistant?”