MTVS Epic Rewatch #168
BTVS 6x16 Hell’s Bells
(aka the Xander-and-Anya-were-having-it-way-too-easy-this-season-and-it-was-high-time-they-got-their-lives-ruined episode)
WILLOW: Buffy, it’s hideous. Oh my god, Buffy. Look at its arms!
BUFFY: I know. But it’s my duty.
Why did Anya get them these awful dresses, though? That’s such a crappy cliché - the bride having awful bridesmaid dresses made because she’s the only one who can look beautiful at her wedding - and I hate that they had Anya do that. Also, notice that Buffy’s dress is slightly less awful, so I’m guessing Sarah pulled her weight to have it that way.
2) Yet another example of how people in Sunnydale are bound to believe anything in order to remain oblivious of the supernatural.
BUFFY: I just can’t believe everyone bought that story about Anya’s people being circus folk. Did you see the guy with the tentacles? What’s he supposed to be? Inky the Squid Boy?
3) Why did they want these people at their wedding, though?
WILLOW: And Xander’s family. I haven’t seen them that bad since my bat mitzvah. Ugh, did you see how much they drank?
BUFFY: Kinda. Mr. Harris threw up in my purse
4) Of course, following Anya’s declaration of how that day was the happiest day of her life, we see the going-ons at the Harris’s household… and this is what we get a glimpse of…
- His uncle Rory half-naked suggesting Xander should use Velcro in his cuffs.
- His uncle Rory trying to make himself an Irish coffee (in the morning…) and then pretending to get electrocuted.
- Xander’s father giving him a hard time because he’s not ready yet
- Xander’s mom guilt-tripping him about her not getting to be in the pictures (why did she think that?)
- Krelvin recalling how Xander’s father had compared him to his mother-in-law and then proceeded to hit him and insult his heritage
- Xander’s father making fun of Anya’s whole family
- Xander’s cousin Carol asking him to get her date with “Kevin” while wearing Xander’s cufflinks as earrings.
I ask again, why did they want these people at their wedding? Except for Krelvin, he seemed like a cool dude.