kent parson thoughts??
oh! yes! I actually do have thoughts for what I think is going to happen with Parse in the future, so without further ado, I bring to you [MARSHALL]:
(note: reading back over this after writing it, I can confirm that this post is a Mess. Like how many times can I just ramble in parenthesis? I don’t even know. Over 15 at least. including this one. my god. STILL HERE YOU GO:)
My Idea for What Could Happen with good ole Kenny P
- Okay, so something that has been mentioned but not addressed in the comic is that it was once Rumored that Jack and Kent were involved. In Parse 2, Ransom and Holster talk about how close they were, how there were rumors, how there were rumors about the rumors, and then note that there is a “trove” of Jack Zimmermann/Kent Parson fanfiction. Obviously, this is a nod towards the bigger RPF hockey ships (like… sid/geno? I don’t actually read RPF but I think thats one…)
- ANYWAY, enough is made of this friendship (with a question mark/astrix) that both get asked about how they are preparing for their game against each other and then they have a pretty intense first game–
- THE POINT IS: It is unclear just how far the rumors about Jack and Parson go. Is it the shippers who really believed they were together? Or was this a more widely whispered about rumor that some more “official” news sites mentioned? We really don’t know, but…
- What we do know is that N has said Parse is the antagonist to Bitty’s plotline (of course I cannot find this exact quote right now but I am like 82% sure those are the exact words she uses… maybe. idk now im all turned around. did she not say this? why do i believe this to be true? oh well, for now:). Parse = Antagonist. (Note, antagonist does not necessarily mean despicable human being. Like, if you would like to see KP as that, I am not stopping you, I’m just pointing out that that is not the official definition of Antagonist and not really how I see him and my opinion has doubtless impacted my ideas.) The Antagonist has to fuck up the protagonist’s proverbial day. (Also, I’m not going to add this here but, dude, the development of the Antagonist as Totally Evil in Western Culture is really interesting! Ack, no side rants. Okay, moving on:)
- SO, the more obvious route to go here is that Parse tries to break up Bitty and Jack (well, there was also the disastrous conversation at the Epikegster which some use to classify him as The Antagonist already but I am not going that far yet because, honestly, as shitty as that moment was for Jack, it did not really affect JackandBitty or the Zimbits ship. I’m assuming Year 4, we need some drama or threat of drama to the actual ship in order for KP to get Full Antagonist Status. He’s gotta fuck up Bitty’s day. Not just Jack’s).
- However, in terms of: Parse tries to Openly Break Up Zimbits– I just don’t see the comic going there. First of all, Jack and Bitty seem like Stability Personified, so I can’t even picture how this would go: Parse: Zims, leave Bitty and be with me. Jack: No. Parse: damn. Alright. *goes to listen to sad music alone* — This is not very climactic, yet anything else would be out of character for Jack. (like Jack actually considering leaving Bitty or really anything Parse has to say would be bizzare bc even Senior-Year-Stressed Jack did not buy what Parse was selling and now Jack is Professional-Athlete-APlus-Boyfriend Jack so like… nah, don’t see it)
- So basically, we need a way for Parse to be his full Antagonist Self while also being… not an Actual Comic Book Villain. And, just my opinion, I feel this cuts out “Purposefully Outing Jack Zimmermann.” It is just way over the line, doesn’t really fit with what we know of Parse (Shitty says that he was a humble guy/most of the Samwell crew likes him/he gives a very Media Answer when asked about Zimmermann), and also just doesn’t fit with the tone and world of Check Please, which I think we can all agree is fairly fluffy. Purposeful Malicious Outing just doesn’t fit.
- BUT, there is a way that allows Kent to be the Antagonist, keeps him as a real person, and mayhap gives some wonderful shades of gray to the comic. And that is what I think (hope?) will happen and that is this:
- Kent Parson Comes Out