It's that time of year again...
Not everyone is going to have a happy Thanksgiving, the history of it aside. Some of us will get stuck breaking bread with those who’d rather we not have it at all. Family members who are racist, ableist, classist, ageist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. whose “opinions” invalidate the very existences of many of us.
And to top it all off, there are the events in Ferguson that such family members are likely to rant and rave about. If you’re in no position to argue against them, see if you can try and recommend that politics not be discussed at the dinner table. An unspoken rule of table manners tends to be that neither politics nor religion are part of dinner conversation, so you may be able to use that to your advantage.
If you’re magically inclined, you have a bit more in your arsenal, even if you aren’t the cursing type. Here’s some spells that I feel would help best:
- Aster’s Belated Banishing Spell - To urge one’s target(s) to leave quickly for convenience’s sake.
- Unrelenting Force - To push something away from oneself.
- Dy’s “Pick Me Up” Cleansing Jar - To keep a small area clear of negativity, and better one’s mood.
- Super Simple Anti-Homesickness Spell - To help oneself to feel at home when one is not physically at home.
- Aster’s “Daniel in the Den” Curse - To cast away the pretenses of the kith & kin of one’s target so that they may be surrounded by unfiltered criticisms of their erroneous actions, as well as to besiege them with nightmares.
- Aster’s Lunar Punishment Curse - To discipline one’s target and make them realize the severity of their actions.
- Aster’s Perfume Bottle Curse - To cause others to forget about one’s target, and to keep one’s target from making themself known.
- Charmain’s “Declaration of War” Curse - To create an intimidating atmosphere around one’s target.
- Khal’s Self-Centered-Bubble-Bursting Spell - To administer a rude awakening to one’s self-absorbed target.
- Lollipop Curse 1 - To get someone to shut up.
- Storm Witch’s Eat-Your-Words Curse - To make one’s target taste the poison of their words.
- Pigeon’s Incantation for Family Peace - To clear out negativity and promote peace in a household.
- Lizzie’s Keep-Away Body Scrub - To deter unwanted attention but still allow oneself to be approachable.
- Pigeon’s Bigger, Meaner, Better Spell - To help one to appear tougher to other people.
- The Shadow Spell - To allow one to move around relatively unnoticed.
- Call Dragon - To summon confidence with the intensity of Odahviig.
- Charm for Inner Strength - To empower an acorn to carry on oneself for inner strength that rivals that of an oak tree.
- Courageous Heart Spell - To overcome difficulties while being true to one’s heart.
- Iron Will - To help keep a difficult resolution.
- Storm Witch’s “Radioactive” Spell - To provide a boost in dire situations.
- Storm Witch’s Warrior Spell - To use visualization in summoning warrior-like strength to take on a problem.
- Wrath’s I’m Confident and Don’t Fuck with Me Spell - To enchant a necklace for lion-like confidence, strength, and integrity.
- Become Ethereal - To shield oneself on either the mundane or astral plane, and/or to keep one’s energy from negatively interacting with others’.
- Pigeon’s Heart Protection Spell - To protect the heart from harm.
- Pigeon’s Wearable Protection Charm - To turn a favorite piece of jewelry into a wearable protection charm.
- Wrath’s Peacock Key Ward - To create a ward charm that one can keep with oneself that will provide protection from negative energies, confidence in oneself, and guard against unwanted attentions.
- A Blinking Light Upon the Mountain - To bring the truth to light.
- Aster’s Cat-Eye Marble Spell - To make one have a well-rounded perspective on issues at hand, and thus see straight through any confusion or falsifications involved.
- Aura Whisper - To see through illusions posed by others.
- Pigeon’s Eye-Opening Spell for Naivety - To open one’s eyes and help them to better read the people around them.
- Pigeon’s Hear-Me-Out Spell - To bring someone around to see things one’s way.
- Pigeon’s Truth Reveal Spell - To get someone to reveal the truth about a situation.
- Spell to See Things Clearly - To enable one to know the truth, see someone’s true intentions, or clarify one’s options and their outcomes.
Do what you can to keep yourself safe. If that means silence, do it. If it means nodding in fake agreement with problematic comments, do it. If it means misrepresenting your own viewpoints, do it. What’s happened in Ferguson and around the world is important to spread awareness of, but your words may fall on ears with selective hearing that belong to dangerous individuals. Don’t put yourself at risk if you don’t feel that you can bear any possible backlash.
If nothing else, there are many ways you can support the protesters in Ferguson.