Hey, question re: the leader of the free world. What titles would are used in German / Germany for Angela Merkel? In the UK, Theresa May is styled "The Right Honourable Mrs Theresa May, Prime Minister" with Prime Minister as a job title, not a personal one. Do you use Chancellor in the same way, or as the Americans use President, as in "President Obama"? Would you use her titles of Doctor or Frau as well? Does Germany not really care about the titles, since it's a republic? Thanks :)
- The formal address is “Frau Bundeskanzlerin Dr. Angela Merkel”.
- In the news, she is shortly called “Bundeskanzlerin Merkel”, or just “Kanzlerin Merkel”.
- Most people just say “die Merkel” or only “Merkel”.
- A widespread nickname is “Mutti”, kind of ma, mom, mum, mommy, mummy. Another variant is “Bundesmutti”, “Federal mom”.
- Her fans call her “Angie”.