I’d like everyone to know that I am being uncharacteristically patient & good even tho we’ve only seen two (2!!!) micro clips of Helena from the first two episodes & I think I should be pat on the back for that !! !!!
Just had one of the best lectures I’ve had in med school
It was on ‘The ethics of abortion’, and I was sorta expecting a lecture tip-toeing around the different viewpoints without offending anyone. But our lecturer slayed!
- she started out by saying how the ‘pro life’ side always get emotive pictures of babies and foetuses etc, and that there’s hardly any for pro choice. So she put up a photo of a woman lying dead on the floor, after bleeding out from an unsafe abortion her partner tried to perform on her
- she showed us statistics on how abortion rates are lower in countries with safe, legal access to abortion
- she showed us more statistics on how high maternal death rates and deaths from unsafe abortions became when countries made access to abortion more restricted
- she put up photos of discarded babies in streets and rubbish bins in countries where abortion is illegal
- she talked about a case in the US where a woman was ex-communicated from an ethics committee at a catholic hospital, after the committee allowed a woman with life-threatening complications to have an abortion, then our lecturer commented that ‘it’s funny how it was wrong for her to do that, yet child abuse is apparently ok’
- she went through cases of more women who were so desperate to have an abortion that they seriously harmed themselves
- she ended the lecture on the photo of the woman who died, and said ‘whatever your stance on abortion, the fact is that if a woman has made up her mind that she doesn’t want to be pregnant, she will do whatever she can to get an abortion, even if it puts her life at risk’