On Monday I saw apartments.
On Tuesday I submitted application materials for one of them.
On Wednesday, I dug up my emotional skeletons for the leasing company and provided legal documentation that I’m not trying to sneak my ex into my apartment as an invisible lessee.
On Thursday, I waited and sketched floor plans.
On Friday, today, I heard from my realtor that the leasing company is sorta on the fence about me because although my application is very strong, my income is not 40x the rent AFTER TAXES, which is a stipulation I’ve never heard before in 15 years of living in NYC.
She asked me if I would consider offering to pay a month or two up front as an “incentive” to the leasing company. No pressure from her, just saying “here’s what you might consider doing if you want the place.” They might still approve me (or not) if I don’t. I have no way of knowing.
If they reject me, they give me back the $500 in earnest money I submitted but they keep the $100 application fee. If they accept me, that $500 goes toward my security deposit. I think that if I say “fuckit” and walk now, they keep BOTH the fee and the earnest money, and I go back to looking.
I’ve been “on the one hand; on the other hand”-ing for the last hour, but I’m not any closer to a decision than I was when I first read the email.