Meet Mr. Pokee, the self-proclaimed “world’s cutest adventurer.” He’s not your average social media pet, he’s a 3-year-old African pygmy hedgehog. Just scrolling through Pokee’s Instagram reveals all the fun places he gets to go, and let’s just say we are very jealous of this well-traveled, spikey little dude.
A cancer-suffering boy’s family was bombarded with abuse after thanking Donald Trump’s son Eric for donating $16.3 million to his hospital.
Zach, from Memphis, was diagnosed with cancer aged four and years later is in remission after treatment at St Jude’s Hospital.
His aunt Sherrie Hopper discovered that Mr Trump donated millions to the hospital and thanked him on Twitter for helping save Zach’s life.
‘Eric Trump Thank you for your commitment
to St Jude. This St Jude family is eternally grateful,’ she wrote on
Twitter on June 27.
The next day, Mr Trump retweeted her post with a note detailing his foundation’s history of support for the pediatric hospital.
'St Jude is the best cause in the world!
It has truly been one of the most important and meaningful missions of
my life,’ he wrote.
Ms Hopper said she, Mr Trump, and even St Jude were immediately bombarded with angry messages and tweets.
Many accused her of making up Zach’s story to make the Trump family look good, or refused to believe Mr Trump donated the money.
One even accused her of being a 'Russian
bot’ spreading misinformation and others alleged Mr Trump stole money
from his foundation.
Ms Hopper made a
video showing Zach to 'prove he was real’ and expressed her shock at the
abuse she received just for thanking a donor.
'The hate that has come out is unreal,’ she said.
you’re going to attack a charity? You’re going to attack a St. Jude
family? Someone who went through hell for four years? Come on, now,’
have no boundaries, no conscience, they will just hide behind the
keyboard and it’s just ok to be nasty and hateful to people.’
'Well, it’s not. We already went through hell, we don’t need you. We don’t need this.’
Mr Trump also commented on the abuse they received, adding 'sadly, nothing is off limits for some’.
Ms Hopper said the abuse continued for almost two weeks afterwards and she regretted starting it off by thanking Mr Trump.
don’t care what you say to me. The hospital should have been left out
of the crazy replies. St. Jude should be Sacred. Why can’t people just
be kind to one another?’ she said on Sunday.
Richard Shadyac Jr, president of St Jude’s
fundraising organization, wrote a letter to Mr Trump in December 2016
thanking him for his support.
expanding our lifesaving work and are working to push cure rates even
higher in this country and around the world, while improving the lives
of survivors by developing and advancing treatments that reduce side
effects,’ he wrote.
'We are only able to do this because of the support provided by donors and supporters like you.’
Zach, now cancer-free, plans to run in a fundraiser race to collect donations to help other sick children at St Jude.
“A Brazilian woman has been arrested for murdering an eight-month
pregnant teenager and taking her baby from her womb, police said on
Tuesday (5 December).
Aline Roberta Fagundes confessed that she
lured the 18-year-old student Gabrielle Barcelos Silva to her house in
the city of Uberlandia on the pretext of gifting her baby clothes.
Fagundes, 38, first mixed tranquilisers in her drink and then removed
the child from the womb by conducting a crude C-section, the Mirror
She then called the emergency services claiming that she had given birth to a baby girl on the street.
She also smeared Silva’s blood over herself to make it look like she had delivered the girl.
But the medical staff at the hospital that treated her and the baby became suspicious and called the police.
admitted that she had committed the murder to gain access to Silva’s
baby after she had a miscarriage earlier this year. Police said
Fagundes’ partner had threatened to leave her after the miscarriage.
Fagundes’ 14-year-old son had arrived home to find Silva’s body wrapped
in a mattress and kept in the backyard. He also found blood stains
inside the house and called the police.
The police were able to put the pieces of the ghastly crime together after the calls from the hospital and the boy.
confessed that she had targeted Silva, who lived in the same
neighbourhood, after she came to know that the teen was pregnant. She
had googled the internet on how to perform a C-section and had cut the
victim open with a stiletto knife.
She alleged that her partner
knew about her plan and had helped her get rid of the body. The unnamed
34-year-old man was later arrested but he claimed innocence. Police are
yet to confirm if the partner was involved in the crime in any way.
The baby is said to be stable and is undergoing special care after.
In a similar incident, a woman from New York has been jailed for a total of 40 years after killing an expectant mother in order to snatch the unborn child from her womb.
Ashleigh Wade was convicted of killing her childhood friend Angelikque Sutton in New York, on 20 November 2015. The child, named Jenasis, miraculously survived the ordeal.”
the recent Trump administration domestic-abuse scandals, most of the
attention has been focused on former staff secretary Rob Porter. Porter
resigned after both his former wives publicly accused him of assault —
with a photograph as corroboration, in one instance. But a second case
involving speechwriter David Sorensen, who also quit over allegations of
past spousal violence, is far more complicated: Sorensen asserts that
in his first marriage, he was the abused spouse. His claim raises an
important issue — one that, unfortunately, has been overshadowed by the
moral train wreck of Donald Trump’s White House.
ex-wife Jessica Corbett told the Washington Post she revealed her abuse
to the FBI in 2017. She reiterated her accusations in a television
interview. Yet Sorensen has at least some evidence on his side: A
statement he posted after his resignation is accompanied by several
cellphone photos from 2015 and 2016 of minor cuts, scrapes and bruises
on his face, neck and chest. There is no proof these were inflicted by
Corbett, but, assuming the dates on the photos were not doctored, the
fact that Sorensen documented the injuries has some significance.
posted records also include a screenshot of text messages in which
Corbett says she was justified in slapping him in response to his
name-calling, and of messages with a friend of Corbett’s who called her
“high strung” and said she had admitted to slapping Sorenson. Corbett
has confirmed that she “slapped Sorensen a number of times after he
called her a vulgar term.”
Sorensen asserts that there was more to it than slaps. He claims
Corbett repeatedly hit and punched him, and that she once blocked his
way and grabbed him by the crotch while trying to stop him from leaving
the house. She also threatened to accuse him of violence when she did
not get her way, he says.
quoted in the Post, calls the exposure of his marital troubles “an
opportunity to highlight the grossly underreported and unacknowledged
issue of female-on-male domestic violence.” Whatever the truth of his
experience, Sorenson is correct about the issue itself.
violence by women is one of the most contentious subjects in social
science. The first large-scale study of domestic abuse, the 1975
National Family Violence Survey conducted by the late University of New
Hampshire sociologist Murray Straus and his colleague Richard Gelles
(now at the University of Pennsylvania), found that similar numbers of
women and men admitted to assaulting a spouse or partner in the previous
12 months. The researchers were skeptical initially, assuming most
female violence had to be in self-defense, though in many cases the wife
was the self-reported sole perpetrator. Later surveys showed that in
mutually violent relationships, women were as likely as men to be the
aggressors. These findings have been confirmed in more than 200 studies.
have challenged the methodology of much of this research because it
focuses on couple conflict and omits post-separation attacks. Yet two
major federally backed surveys using different methods — the 2000
National Violence Against Women Survey by the National Institute of
Justice and the 2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence
Survey by the Centers for Disease Control — found that about 40% of
those reporting serious assaults by current or former partners in the
past year were men, and most of their attackers were women.
violence is often assumed to be harmless, given sex differences in size
and strength. Yet women may use weapons — including knives, glass,
boiling water and various household objects — while men may be held back
from defending themselves by cultural taboos against harming woman.
David Nevers, an Illinois man who went public about his experience as a
battered husband 20 years ago, suffered serious, documented injuries —
burns, cuts and a broken nose — despite being four inches taller and 100
pounds heavier than his then-wife.
studies find that female-on-male assaults account for 12% to 40% of
injuries from domestic violence. Men also make up about 30% of intimate
homicide victims, not counting confirmed cases of female self-defense.
The 1998 killing of actor/comedian Phil Hartman by his wife, Brynn, who
then committed suicide, is just one notable instance of a domestic
murder in which the perpetrator with a history of violence was a woman.
of female-on-male abuse have been met with extreme hostility from
feminist academics, activists and commentators. Scholars studying the
subject have been attacked as apologists for misogyny. Battered women’s
advocates tend to explain away female violence as almost entirely
defensive, despite evidence to the contrary. One reason for this
attitude is solidarity with women as victims; another is the dogmatic
view that battering is an expression of patriarchal power.
men have faced widespread biases from police, judges and social
workers, who tend to assume that the man in a violent relationship is
the aggressor and to trivialize assaults by women. Much of this
prejudice stems from traditional sexism: Battered men violate
stereotypical expectations about manliness. Yet feminists perpetuate
such sexism when they deny the reality of male victims and female
abusers. Equality should include recognizing women’s potential for
may well be an abused man with a compelling story. Of course, neither
he nor Corbett should be considered guilty based on accusation alone.
The claims on both sides should be fairly investigated — without
political bias or sexist bias.
Labour MP last night joined calls for a public inquiry after girls as
young as 11 were lured from families to be drugged, beaten and raped in
an epidemic that, say victims, continues today.
Three were murdered and two others died in tragedies linked to the scandal.
As our case histories show, many were ignored after reporting rapes to police.
despite similar high-profile cases in Rochdale and Rotherham,
authorities in Telford did nothing for years to stop the horrific abuse
network exposed yesterday by The Sunday Mirror.
of victims have been failed. Police even told one victim they had
destroyed evidence of her rape claim after they tried to contact her.
council-commissioned report told how social workers knew of the child
sex crimes in the late 90s. And in 2016, whislteblowing police chaplain
Keith Osmund-Smith was suspended after passing papers to the Mirror.
We asked police what was done about allegations of abuse in
the 150-page report and they said they had not been properly logged.
second whistleblower employed by Axis Counselling – a charity helping
sex abuse victims – was forced to leave her post after speaking out.
of her disciplinary meeting show officials admitted she had done
nothing wrong but feared funding from authorities would be cut if she
kept expressing views about the lack of action over the scandal by the
council and police.
The majority of Axis Counselling’s
funding comes from West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner, John
Campion – who has opposed calls from an MP and the Sunday Mirror for a
Rotherham-style inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Telford.
September 2016, Tory MP for Telford, Lucy Allan, called for an inquiry
after an abuse victim told her that many of the worst offenders had not
been prosecuted and still lived in the area.
The same month, Tory Campion and nine others on the
Labour-run council wrote to Home Secretary Amber Rudd, saying the
inquiry was not necessary.
The whistleblowers’ concerns came on top of complaints from victims who were ignored or treated like criminals.
Becky Watson, 13, died in a car crash described as a “prank”. But she had suffered two years of abuse by an Asian grooming gang.
Her mum Torron Watson said she repeatedly told police Becky was being abused and named suspects.
But, she said: “Girls like Becky were treated like criminals.”
Students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, adorned their
bags with signs, badges and slogans protesting against the measures.
Seventeen people were killed in the shooting on 14 February.
The attack led to an extensive social media campaign, culminating in a national march for tighter gun control.
But students have argued that the new bags will not prevent future attacks and infringe their privacy.
The rules about the clear rucksacks, which were provided free to
students, came into effect on Monday as classes resumed after the spring
break. Other security measures announced last month include mandatory
new ID badges for students, with plans also in place for airport-style
A number of security breaches were reported in
the weeks following the killings. The gunman’s brother was charged with
trespassing on the school grounds and three students were arrested -
two for carrying weapons and one for making threats on social media.
Students have raised a number of doubts about the transparent backpacks.