Yuri!!! On Ice, Avatar: The Last Airbender / Legend of Korra AU headcanons
- Yuuri is the avatar and earth is his native element (so he feasibly could be born after Korra)
- He knew he was an earthbender early on, but he found out he was the avatar after discovering his ability to freeze over water as a child
- He showed this trick to his friends Yuuko and Takeshi. Takeshi was a little bit more tentative, but Yuuri and Yuuko had a grand ol’ time sliding across the ice UNTIL…
- Tragedy strikes!! Either Yuuko or Takeshi falls through the ice or something and THOUGH SHE ENDS BEING UP OKAY, the incident stays with Yuuri, instilling a deep fear of water and blocking his ability to bend that element
- Eventually Yuuri starts traveling around the world to train. He struggles with air a little bit (since it’s the direct opposite of Earth). His friend Phichit, a fellow airbender trainee on Air Temple Island, helps him through it
- When it’s finally time for Yuuri to master water he’s anxious AF. Phichit comes with him to the Northern Water Tribe as moral support (because airbenders are nomads!!! also yay BFFs!!!)
- Yuuri is supposed to train under Waterbending Master Yakov BUT INSTEAD WHO GREETS HIM WHEN HE DISEMBARKS???
- YOU GUESSED IT. A GORGEOUS, SILVER-HAIRED WATERBENDING MASTER WHO EXCITEDLY PROCLAIMS HE’S GOING TO BE YUURI’S TEACHER
- Meanwhile Yuuri is freaking out because he assumes this means Yakov hates him already and can’t be bothered to work with an avatar who can’t waterbend (though admittedly Yakov might not know about that…)
- Georgi, Mila, and Yurio are also waterbenders chillin up north w/ Master Yakov, mostly because I can’t bear to separate the
RussianNothern Water Tribe Drama Squad
- Yurio spars by bending water into giant ice claws, bc of course he does Mr. Ice Tiger of the Northern Water Tribe
- (Yurio is also an exceptionally good healer, something that he loudly resents but quietly appreciates when Yuuri occasionally gets banged up during training)
- Victor tries some, uh…unconventional methods to unlock Yuri’s waterbending
- Including a lot of stripping and attempts to share body heat (”but yuuuuuri you’re not used to the cold!!!!”)
- At some point Victor drags Yuuri out into a canoe in the middle of the night so they can do some soul searching together. Yuuri FREAKS OUT but reluctantly going anyway.
- They end up lying in the canoe in the middle of the ocean as Victor explains the connection between the moon and waterbending and the ocean spirit and etc. etc.
- It’s while lying there, gently being rocked by the ocean and listening to Victor’s voice, that Yuuri realizes water can be safe and soothing. He slowly overcome his bending block after that
- Yuuri’s begins to associate water with Victor. This makes it easier for Yuuri to trust his bending (because he trusts Victor!)
- Also they pair skate at some point. bc why not.
As to why Victor ends up training Yuuri instead of Yakov…
- Yuuri moves super fluidly when he bends, which seems unusual for someone with earth as their native element. He bends as if he’s dancing
- This catches Victor’s attention. Though Yuuri doesn’t realize this, Victor saw him bend once prior to him coming up north. Victor immediately thought “omg he already moves as if he IS water, i NEED to be the one to train him, i’m the only one who can tap into his potential!!!”
- Victor pesters the shit out of yakov until he acquiesces. (”Fine Victor you can train him for one lunar cycle, but if he can’t move water by the next full moon I’m taking over”)
- Also it’s feasible that Victor knew Korra when he was really really young. She recognized his potential early on and told him to look after the next Avatar for her.