people from like, before ballpoint pens n shit (when they were using feathers to write) would TOTALLY see today’s straws and make them into pens like are you fucking kidding me??? theyd be like, “holy fuck, a somewhat flexible tubular thin thing. i guess this means i dont have to TEMPER my QUILLS anymore.”
like do you know how revolutionary just a disposable plastic straw would be to those people? do you know what you have to do to a feather to make it usable? like yeah you have to carve it into a nib n shit but even BEFORE you TOUCH your knife, you have to temper that shit. its basically sticking the feather in hot sand and waiting around for awhile for some chemistry shit to happen. like a few hours.
and then you have to get all that fluffy shit off the tip, and then you gotta carve it. and you gotta be really heckin careful you dont fuck up, because hell, you just waited three hours for this fucking feather, there’s no way youre doing that again.
but with STRAWS?? first of all, you can get identical ones, unlike with feathers. also they come in different colours and widths and shit. and you dont have to wait three hours for them to be usable.
basically im saying theres nothing inherently less legitimate about making a quill pen out of a straw. the long-dead would have done it, so you can too. just do it. it costs like zero money, so if youre considering getting into calligraphy, you may as well make your own nib outta a straw instead of spending $$ on a store made one.
also, life hack for the ink: get some bubble solution and put food coloring in it. there. youre cool. youre writing with a straw now. thats cool.
I’m a budding essential oil nerd and I was stoked to hear about the new online community called Noteworthy by Aura Cacia- it’s a space for us to support one another along the path to our most authentic selves. The path to authenticity is inevitably long and complicated for each of us, and I’m excited to be part of a community of seekers who support one another.
Like many other parts of modern wellness culture, I was very skeptical of aromatherapy for a long time. The whole culture surrounding essential oils and their myriad usages just seemed like something wealthy yoga people rhapsodized about in order to make themselves feel superior to others. However, I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that essential oils have completely changed my life.
For me, it really started with a single oil diffuser in my yoga room. I wasn’t even all that adventurous in the beginning- I would just shake a few drops of lavender oil in before practicing yoga and allow the gentle aroma fill the space. It was a really pleasant upgrade from my typical practice days but I didn’t think much of it- it was hard for me to believe that a few drops of oil in diffused water could make such a difference in my mood. Because truly, it wasn’t just about the nice smell- the diffusion legit made me FEEL better.
Eventually, I realized that the diffusion experience needed to spread to other parts of my life. I added diffusers + oil sets to my bedroom and office and I became much more experimental with the oil combinations. Lemongrass and rosemary have become critical components of my work life- any time the realities of freelance work are trying my patience, I sprinkle a few drops in my diffuser and allow the magical power of scent to balance my spirit.
Also, my travel oil diffuser has become one of my most crucial essentials. As soon as I check into a new hotel room, I immediately plug in my diffuser- it invariably helps my mood and makes me feel closer to home.
However, my love of essential oils extends beyond oil diffusers. I swore off antiperspirant deodorant ages ago and I’ve struggled with finding the best natural deodorant for my sensitive skin. Baking soda based natural deodorants burn my armpits up like bacon, and deodorants that use essential oils as a large component have a much less aggressive effect. There is a brand that makes an awesome spray deodorant that I LOVE but I tend to use a lot of it- I mean, Carolina summers are no joke and ya girl likes to stay fresh. Expensive natural deodorants aren’t terribly cost effective, and I set out on a mission to find the best homemade deodorant for my pits. After experimenting with a few different recipes, I finally concocted a recipe that works really well for my body, with tea tree, lemon, lemongrass, and lavender oils providing the oil base.
The thing is, I’m not always in situations where I can easily incorporate oils in my life. More often than not, I’m waiting for a stressful meeting, stuck in traffic on my way to teach a packed yoga class, or dealing with the drama of an average trip to the airport. In those moments, it’s awesome to use essential oil roll-ons- I always keep one the Aura Cacia Chakra Balancing Roll-ons in my satchel so I can roll a few drops on my pulse points when I need a pick me up. Seriously, these roll-ons have been SO CLUTCH in life’s trying moments- it’s like a fresh sniff of reality when I feel myself slipping into emotional darkness.
Essential oils aren’t a status symbol- they’re the key to an ancient healing practice. If you’re interested in starting your own healing journey, whether it’s yoga, uncluttering your home, embodying new motherhood or anything else, check out the NoteWorthy by Aura Cacia page for a community that will support your journey to your truest self.
Be warned there’s gonna be Voltron s3 spoilers in here!! So if you don’t want to see that, look elsewhere. (Also this is super fucking long, I’m sorry.)
Anyway so I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and what with (at least temporary) Red Paladin!Lance being confirmed, now is probably the time to post this.
Coincidentally, I’ve been spending the past couple weeks looking for foreshadow of the Red and Blue Lions have some kind of Special Connection and there is quite a bit, so I thought I’d share some of what I’ve found.
The gist of it is that I think Red and Blue have some kind of connection that the other lions don’t seem to have with each other. Of course all the lions have a special bond, but there seem to be a lot of hints that the connection between Red and Blue *coughs* and their pilots is something a little different––basically, that Lance and Keith have shown a lot more interest in/connection to each other’s lions than any of the other paladins have.
(And before everyone jumps down my throat, I’m NOT proposing a permanent lion switch so jot that down lol. But I do think temporary lion switches are Good so uhhhh fight me.)
I’m not sure how to go about explaining this, but I’m just gonna break it down to:
- Keith’s connection with Blue
- Lance’s connection with Red
- What Does It Mean
Here we go!!!
Keith & Blue
- I’m still caught up on this whole “Keith sensed the Blue Lion” thing. Granted, it could have something to do with his alien abilities™ (I’m still rooting for Keith with Altean ancestry, y’all) but I still question the choice of having Keith sense Blue, of all the lions. He only detects the location of two lions in canon, and they’re––you guessed it––Blue and Red.
First we have some kinda vague “energy” that attracts Keith to Blue:
Then we have this part where Keith just … closes his eyes and senses Red somehow??
(These both happen in the first episode, I might add.)
Like I said, this could be some kinda sixth alien sense. But, I do also wonder if it was Blue trusting & calling out to Keith specifically, which is interesting considering he’s not even her paladin.
- Also in the first episode, when they find Blue, Keith & Lance are the first ones to approach her. Keith even reaches Blue before Lance does!
And then they’re both standing right in front of Blue, side-by-side, when she wakes up.
There is still a close-up on Lance when Blue awakens––but even so, everyone else has much more of a one-on-one first interaction with their lion, so this scene in particular stands out to me.
- Other than in the first episode we don’t get much of Keith interacting with Blue in s1 (except for him saving Blue for Lance in s1e06, which is cute!)
But then there’s also this moment in s2 where he starts asking Coran about whether there might have been Galra on earth before, and whether that could have something to do with Blue being on Earth:
Which is especially interesting now that we know that Keith is part Galra. So …. is it possible the previous Blue Paladin might’ve been Galra?? or even could have been an ancestor of Keith’s?
Then of course we have Lance emerging from his room at the mention of Blue, and accusing Keith of “having his eye on the Blue Lion since day one”:
This is … kinda odd considering Keith hasn’t outwardly shown any desire to pilot Blue as far as I can remember. So, obviously this is a throwback to the very first episode in which Keith first sensed Blue––and the fact that it was brought up again out of nowhere makes me suspicious that there’s Something there that hasn’t quite been addressed yet.
Lance & Red
- *rubs hands together* Now this is Extra Fun because now I know for a fact Lance is gonna fly the Red Lion at some point in s3 because it was in the trailer and all …
Unfortunately I don’t get to say “I told you so” because I didn’t publish this post before then, but anyway! I’ve been looking for foreshadow of this and honestly?? If you ask me, there are hints of Red Paladin!Lance since the very first episode. (Again, I’m not suggesting Lance becomes Red Paladin forever, so please don’t kill me. But I do think Lance having some kind of connection with Red has been foreshadowed.)
- So!! In the first episode I noticed that when Allura assigns each of them a lion, she doesn’t technically assign Blue to Lance (because he interrupts her, lol). It’s just kind of assumed that he’s Blue Paladin since, well, he’s flown Blue. Now, I’m not saying he’s not the Blue Paladin––he is! Buuut I also find a couple things about this scene Intriguing:
1) Lance looks like he almost expects to be assigned the lion as Allura describes it (even though he already has a lion), and then seems a bit shocked/upset when it gets assigned to Keith instead.
2) Not only that, but you may notice the Red Lion hovers between BOTH of them, which is noteworthy because this doesn’t happen to anyone else when they get their lion assigned to them. Hmmmmmm…
- This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually … also think Lance shows some Red Paladin traits. Once again, that’s not to say that Lance doesn’t also fit into the role of Blue Paladin because of course he does, but I do think he shows traces of being capable of being Red Paladin as well.
Like listen, when Allura is assigning Red, these are her exact words: “The Red Lion is temperamental and the most difficult to master. … Its pilot needs to be someone who relies more on instincts than skill alone.”
So really the only qualifications here are: 1) Be skilled. 2) Have good instincts.
And Lance?? Fits those qualifications pretty damn well. He’s a skilled pilot, sharpshooter, and strategist. And he has very strong awareness/instincts as well (i.e. being able to identify the Rover clone super fast, being able to come up with a plan on the Balmera on the fly, etc.). There’s no reason why he can’t fly Red if you ask me.
- Also, when the Red Lion gets fire power for the first time Lance is like, “I want that!!” which is interesting … especially because (at least as far as I can remember) no one else expresses jealousy for another paladin’s lion that way.
And generally I just find it kinda funny that Lance accuses Keith of having his eye on the Blue Lion when Lance has like…canonically had his eye on the Red Lion from pretty early on.
- In addition to all of the above, there does seem to be some foreshadow about Keith getting separated from Red (at least temporarily). i.e. he has that dream about Red rejecting him.
And there’s also that vision he has in BoM where Red is far away from him.
(Tag yourself I’m the people screaming.)
Could be coincidental …. or could be intentional to foreshadow something about a certain someone else temporarily taking over as Red Paladin.
- And lastly: it may not mean anything, but in GoLion (the original anime) Isamu/Lance was Red Paladin … So, could be a nod to the original!
And yes, he wore a blue outfit but piloted the Red Lion, don’t question it. Color coordination hadn’t been invented yet.
What Does It Mean?!
- In general, there seems to be a lot of subtle foreshadow that there is Some kind of connection between the Red and Blue lions––or at least, to an extent, Keith and Lance have connections to each other’s lions as well as their own.
- It could mean they are both capable of piloting each other’s lions. I’ll say it again––I’m not suggesting a permanent lion swap or anything along those lines, because both paladins also have very strong connections to their own lions. (Also, I’m not sure about Blue Paladin!Keith at this point, although it’s hard to say since we don’t really know what the quintessence of the Blue Lion is yet.)
However, I think in certain situations their lions could be accepting of the other’s paladin (which of course we know is possible since Keith has piloted Black before, and in the s3 trailer it appears he does so again, as well as Lance piloting Red). So, I feel like that could be important.
- As for the reason behind this connection: It could be because their elements balance each other out (you know, the whole fire-and-ice thing), but what I’m really hoping is that there is some significance in the relationship between the previous Red & Blue Paladins (interpret that however you want––but yeah like, maybe they were good friends??? or …. more than that????) and their lions built up a strong connection because of that (or vice versa).
- TL;DR: I think it’s pretty much inevitable that Red & Blue/Keith & Lance have some kind of special connection (space ranger partners™ amiright) and if you ask me there are a lot of signs pointing in that direction. That’s all, bye.