Safety Tips for Female Cosplayers
I feel that I really need to go over some safety tips for cosplayers, not just for online, but for at cons, as well. It’s important we all try to remain as safe as possible, and it’s sad that we constantly have to watch our backs like this, but this is reality.
- Secure any loose ties, ESPECIALLY ON BIKINI TOPS. I’ve heard of Yoko’s getting their tops untied by jerks. Be sure to either safety pin that knot, or find another way to securely keep it on. You may also want to tape those tops to your skin with double sided tape, fashion tape, etc.
- Wear spankies under short skirts! Spankies are what cheerleaders wear under their skirts. This will prevent guys from getting a free show when you’re going up an escalator, dancing, etc.
- Unless it is required, DO NOT use your full name on your badge This more easily allows creepers to find your personal facebook and any other information about you. If you can keep your personal life and cosplay life seperate, with the exception of people you trust, that is always a good route to go.
- Don’t EVER tell someone you don’t know your room number. Common sense. There have been reports of guys trying to break into hotel rooms after finding out a room number, or stalking them back to their rooms.
- On that subject, don’t travel through unpopulated places alone. Like I said, guys have been stalking girls back to their hotel rooms, cars, etc.
- Drink responsibly! Most adult congoers like to drink. But there’s being drunk and then there’s being shit faced. Being shit faced ain’t cute, and makes you prime target for something bad to happen. Also, ladies, my mother always told me if I left my drink for ANY amount of time without having it in my hand, NOT TO DRINK IT. I’ve heard accounts of roofies/acid/whatever other drug being put into drinks at cons. Water bottles are a good way to go. You can carry them without worrying about spilling them. And if you’re underage. Don’t drink. Just don’t do it. It’s not cute.
- ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have your cell phone charged and on you. In case of emergencies, you always want to ability to either call a friend or the authorities.
- If you are UNDER 18, DON’T do cosplays your grandmother wouldn’t want to see you in. This isn’t even me being jealous. This is you being too young to realize the risk you’re putting yourself in. If you look like you’re an adult, people will assume you are an adult, and I hate seeing young teenager girls coming out after a con saying, “OMG I COSPLAYED FROM BIBLE BLACK AND ALL THESE GUYS KEPT MAKING DIRTY COMMENTS.” Common. Sense. Yoko? She may be 15 in the anime, but that doesn’t keep guys from thinking she’s a sexual fantasy. Panty and Stocking? Cool anime, but it’s for adults and has very serious sexual implications.
- Always hold your ground. If someone insults you by touching, making remarks, or doing something that you are uncomfortable with, tell them to stop. A lot of people don’t realize that this isn’t the internet where they can freely talk about titties.
- If something seems off, don’t do it! Guy with a fancy camera asks for a private shoot in his hotel room? I don’t care HOW NICE he seems, this is SKETCHY AS HELL. If I am going anywhere away from the con with someone I don’t trust, I will always ask for a friend to come with me. Safety in numbers, ladies.
- Security is there for a reason! If you don’t report someone who sexually harasses you, you’re putting other people at risk for the same thing. Give a description, try to get a badge name, whatever. Cons have a no nonsense policy for this kind of stuff.
- Have a guy that can be your “boyfriend”. If you’re shy or timid, have a close male friend act as your boyfriend if you get uncomfortable. Have them hold your hand or put their arm around your waist when a guy comes on too hard. They generally back off. The “I’m a lesbian” thing DOESN’T WORK. All that puts in their head is “mmmm threesome.” Even if you are a lesbian, most men don’t “believe it” or think they they just haven’t experienced a good man. This is common knowledge in the LGTB community, and as a bisexual, myself, I’ve experienced it.
- LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Men, don’t be douchebags. No you cannot comment on how plush a girls titties are. You cannot say “Hnnng DAT ASS!” You cannot touch women however you want. This results in you looking like an asshole, and many times, getting ejected from a con.
- (Added by Frostfaggot.tumblr.com) May I please bring to everyone’s attention a reminder that WOW HEY GIRLS HANGING ALL OVER A CUTE CON GUY AND STALKING HIM AROUND THE CON is not okay whatsoever and trying to ‘seduce’ him or get in his pants when he doesn’t want the attention is also not okay! Because guess what! Girls are just as bad as guys at conventions so just a friendly reminder and psa!!