Hello, here’s another prompt from @rivamika-drabbles. It’s been a while since i last wrote something, i’m a bit rusty but hopefully this will help ease me back into the swing of things. Enjoy!
To him, she’s like a mirror: broken shards strung together to create a distorted reflection of himself. Flawed and incomplete.
At times, he looks at her and finds a familiar hollowness in her gaze; he recognizes the fury in the line of her jaw, the tension in the set of her shoulders, and it’s like reminiscing the past (he hates it, seeing so much of himself in someone so young, someone not nearly worn enough to bear his legacy or shame).
But then he’ll give her a second glance, a closer look, and see something completely different. In those moments- when her eyes soften with her smile, and the scarf around her neck looks less like a noose and more like a trophy, like spoils of war draped openly against her skin- he feels foolish for thinking she is anything like him.
Flawed as she is, her visage is far too mended to be his own (a bit more refined, a little less sullied, and missing far fewer pieces in comparison).
She’s infinitely more incandescent than he could ever be, and the thought unsettles him more than he cares to admit.
Sometimes, it makes him feel unworthy. Other times, it sickens him just how enamored he is by her contradictions. Mostly, however, it’s alluring, and he’s drawn closer to her, against his better judgement, like a moth to a flame.
He wonders if she realizes how easily she could scorch him, if she chooses to. He wonders if he’d let her, given the chance (Levi already knows the answer to both inquiries, but he pushes it to the back of his mind. He’s had practice with denial, wears it like a second skin, as if it can cloak him from the truths he refuses to confront).
He’s fully aware that he’s trekked too close, too quickly- and, more importantly, that he’s allowed her to do the very same. And that, for all his wants and caution, is his greatest grievance.
So I got a question on anon asking me about my drawing coloring process, and unfortunately I accidentally deleted it, because I have clumsy fingers on mobile.
Thank you so much for your interest, I’m really honored! I will try and give a brief overview of my drawing process, and hope this is helpful or useful to you! I just started experimenting with Photoshop last summer around July, so I’m definitely not the most experienced, I’m still learning a lot!
I’m going to be using this drawing of Lapis, because it’s one of my favorite pieces and it is more detailed than my average drawing:
This drawing was inspired by the episode “Alone At Sea”, where I wanted to illustrate this concept:
This was my main reference, but I also throughout, used a lot of google images of water and colorful fish.
Sketch: My canvas size was 3000 px wide and 2000 px high. I tend to sketch with the standard brushes and I actually have like 2 layers of sketches (one for basic shapes/sizes of things, then one for rough details and things).
Lineart + base coloring: I add lineart, usually px size 6-8, with the pencil brush. I then add base colors, using the default solid brush. Usually they are the generic color I’m going for. I try not to get too stressed about the base colors because I usually cover most of them up.
Primary highlights/light sources: It gets more interesting once you establish primary light sources, so where the main light source is coming from, as well as reflections of things. I use a larger brush and add these on new layers, set to either overlay or screen or pin light. So I wanted light to be shining through the water, making the color reflect on Lapis, which is how it works with real light.
Detail/color: I think this is the most fun part, where you choose colors to paint over. I think I painted this the way I normally use watercolor, which is combining a lot of complimentary and contrasting colors with varying amounts of saturation. It’s more complicated to explain that, but it’s a lot of eyeballing. For example, referring to the reddish colors, I tried spreading them around the drawing instead of having them just in one place. The reddish fish reflects around the water bubble, and the light is reflected on Lapis’s clothing as well.
Highlights: This makes your drawing really stand out - often at this stage, many layers are on ‘luminosity’, ‘screen’ or ‘overlay’. I also do this with the lineart layer as well, so there are not just harsh black lines, which can be distracting. There are also secondary light sources, such as at the back of Lapis’s head, because I felt like there was still not enough red-orange in the drawing.
Small white lines also make a big difference (such as those on the bubble, and on the edges of her jacket/in her hair).
I later went and adjusted the color balance a bit, as well as increased the contrast so some more areas would appear darker and it was a bit less green in color.
That is kind of the overview! I hope this was helpful at all, or at least interesting! If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer, I enjoy rambling. Sorry if this was a bit long!
can you imagine. Library au
Keith and hunk work in receiving, processing new shipments/donations and putting books back from the dropoff chute. Pidge is IT support for the library and keeps the servers secure and lightning fast and definitely doesn’t spy on people with her network. Shiro and lance are the receptionists bc Lance thought it would be a good way to meet some smokin bodies and shiro just really loves books okay. Coran owns the building and Allura manages it and takes down all the mouse traps Coran puts up because “they’ve never chewed anything or pooped on the books, Coran!"
And there are the usual library shenanigans including but not limited to
- a closet full of books. no context it’s just there and Coran wants it to stay.
- squirrels sneaking in through the dropoff chute when the weather gets colder
- hunk and keith hunting the squirrels bc they’re not always busy
- hunk wanting to be humane only and Keith slowly putting his knife away
- Keith this is a library why do you have a knife
- *squints into the horizon like a war veteran* squirrels
- pidge suggesting that the mice are helping the squirrels
- keith’s war against rodents begins and Allura scrambles to set up cozy hiding spots for them all just out of Keith’s reach
- and then he finds his pistachios MISSING and his pear has been nibbled upon and he mc freaking loses it
- shiro puts this sign up on the dropoff chute very quietly and kindly and he just kind of puffs up knowing that he’s done a Good Deed
- people start obeying the sign and Lance leaves the front doors open so he can hear it every single time it happens. He has a tally chart.
- the chute opens one day without anyone shouting down it and Keith runs upstairs and looks around "did you see any squirrels ma'am"
- Lance is dying bc it was him.
- klance makeouts between the bookshelves
- the dudes from the computer repair shop next door coming in and asking if any of the webcams in the library had mysteriously turned on too
- pidge is a good liar bc obviously she was behind it.
- hunk and allura putting food for the squirrels on the roof in an attempt to keep them safe from Keith
- hunk and allura realizing that the squirrels are determined, suicidal little shits and so they just put food in the corner of the library or up on the highest bookshelves and hope that their tails will do the dusting for them
- shiro sighing at literally everything as he hand feeds the squirrels
- is he Snow White like how does he do that
- Keith’s Betrayed Face when he sees shiro schmoozing the squirrels
- *whispers* I thought you loved me
- shiro rolling his eyes so hard he goes and joins a bowling league
- the dudes from the computer repair shop coming back AGAIN and asking if show tunes had started playing in the library
- pidge must physically remove herself from their presence bc she’s trying very hard not to cackle like an overlord
- Keith brings in a CAT
- allura is horrified and literally clutches her chest
- Lance falls in love with the cat, feeds it treats and snacks and gives it lazy toys until it gets ULTRA FAT
- Keith comes to the conclusion that his bf sabotaged his cat plan on purpose and cuts off the nookie supply for a month
- worst month of everyone’s lives tbh
- hunk begs Keith to please just fuck Lance again
- a hanjo in the Scientology section at the very least please please please
- pidge and shiro end up stuck in the weird book closet somehow
- shiro COULD break down the door but that’s just a lot of work
- why break things when you could have a book fight
- they throw a couple hundred paperbacks at each other for 20 minutes
- pidge builds a throne of books and rules her domicile (400 books and shiro) with cunning and dignity
- until shiro slaps her in the face with a copy of pride and prejudice and the war begins anew
- the library has like three floors and everyone knows to stay out of the left wing of the third floor during lunch breaks bc Lance and Keith honestly don’t care if u see their butts they will not stop
- shiro or hunk lifting pidge onto their shoulders to put more food on the shelves for the squirrels
- the general populace of the town not being weirded out by any of the shenanigans in the library
- it’s just another beautiful day in mr Roger’s neighbourhood for them
- Keith runs by them with a knife in his teeth and a net in his hands? Totally normal