Beauty and the Beast Post-Curse headcanons Part 3: Christmas in the Castle
I’ve come to accept that there is now a corner of my brain that seems permanently dedicated to thinking up Beauty and the Beast headcanons. From this little corner of my brain arose the question “After spending so much time trapped in an eternal winter, how would the members of the castle react to the changing seasons and the eventual return of winter(albeit a distinctly less permanent one)?” And just like opening the floodgates, more headcanons came pouring in! So with that I present the winter/Christmas BATB headcanons no one else asked for…
(Note: I loved the STV Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas as a kid, but it just doesn’t fit with the new live action movie which is where I’ve been drawing inspiration from… so I made up my own fangirl fluff version. Enjoy!)
- At the sight of the first snowflakes of the season Adam frowns up at the sky, his old, grumpy self threatening to return. And then he sees Belle, cheerful and excited, look up to greet the snow. Her cheeks rosy from the cold. Arms stretched out wide, tongue extended to catch the falling flakes. He can’t help but laugh. After all, it was in those snowy days that he first fell in love with her.
- As winter sets in around the castle and the nights grow cold, Adam convinces Belle to spend her nights in the west wing with him. He claims it is for warmth. In reality he just wants her there with him. He wants Belle to be the first thing he sees each snowy morning. A reminder that this winter is different. He loves that he can hold her close in the night, nestle his face in her hair, feel her snuggle closer to him in her sleep. She teases him that he snores and that his toes are always cold. He sleeps better with her there. They both do. For the first week or so Adam is very hard to get out of bed in the morning, insisting any responsibilities that day can wait a few more minutes.
- During the curse the castle never celebrated Christmas (to be fair no one really felt much like celebrating.) Belle insists that they should have a proper Christmas celebration in the castle this year now that the curse has been lifted. The very next morning Adam surprises Belle by having the entire castle decorated. Candles and holly everywhere!
- Lumière is in full favor of the festivities and plans a grand feast. His goal is to see if he can out-do his performance from Be Our Guest, though now that he is back to his human self, swinging from the chandelier may be a bit more…challenging.
Lumière also takes advantage of the holiday spirit by flirtatiously holding mistletoe above his head when he is near Plumette. She steals the mistletoe which leads to him playfully chasing her around the castle.
- Before Belle’s school lets out for the holidays, the children are allowed a recess time to play in the snow, the sound of laughter and playful shrieks echoing across the castle grounds. A great snowball fight breaks out. The children all scatter when they see Adam start to gather a great mound of snowy ammunition. Some run to join him, while others try to valiantly protect Belle from their snow fort. At one point Lumière and Plumette are forced to make their way through crossfire of the flying snow. Lumière shields Plumette with his coat and frantically waves a white handkerchief as they run across the snowy ground to safety inside the castle. LeFou shows some of the more pacifist children how to build a snowman, safely outside the line of fire.
- On their last day of school the children are each given a few presents. Belle gives them a journal to write their own stories in. Plumette, a new quill for them to write with. Adam gives them each a rose (the white ones still bloom in winter even after the curse is broken.) Maurice gives them a tiny music box. Lumière gives them each a small jar of the grey stuff as a treat for the ride home.
- Chip convinces everyone that they should all make Christmas cookies together. Adam ends up breaking a few at first but after a little practice gets pretty good at decorating. He later breaks a few on purpose so he can eat them. He also tries to start a frosting fight until Mrs. Potts shoots him a maternal look that tells him he should reconsider. Belle’s cookies are simple and cute. Plumette’s delicately detailed. Lumière’s are covered in decorative sugars. Cogsworth gets roped into helping and ends up making several as he gets into a steady decorating rhythm. Cadenza and Garderobe make a few for themselves but are more interested in baking dog-safe cookies for FrouFrou.
- Maestro Cadenza decides to compose his own Christmas music (insisting work by other composers to be rubbish unfit for such a special occasion) and can be heard playing almost constantly. Garderobe teaches the village children the words to a few of his carols and has them sing for him.
- Everyone gets together to decorate the castle Christmas tree. Adam hangs some childhood ornaments that were his mother’s favorites. Belle works in flowers and tiny carved ornaments that Maurice made. Some look like books, while others are tiny carved likenesses of the members of the castle. Maurice also makes a mechanical ring of ballroom dancers to dance around the base of the tree when the music box attatched plays. There is a section along the bottom that Chip claimed as his own. Lumière is in charge of the candles. Plumette nestles little fake birds among the branches and places the angel on top. Madame de Garderobe winds a ribbon garland around the tree and hangs delicate gold music note ornaments.
Cadenza provides the music to decorate to, enjoying watching his wife and friends at work.
Cogsworth attempts to make sure everything is spaced properly, hanging a few shiny old pocket watches as ornaments when he thinks no one is looking.
Thanks for humoring me! Hopefully you enjoyed these headcanons, even if they are a bit out of season…
Decided it was about time I completed one of my own prompts -
Day 1459, a clock tower. I’ve bought a drawing monitor off of my friend @thesketcherlass after she got a new one, and I’m also testing out Clip Studio Paint, so that’s exciting.
I plan on doing a review of Clip Studio paint for my Patreon, (which I will be launching the first of April) so I will probably be doing some more doodles and experiments while I get to know the program.
i never use reference when i draw bakugou because i hold my own bakugou expertise in such high esteem so the one element i forget every single time is his like, garterbelt things (i have no idea what else to call them). i like them bc they bring more green into the costume but i also hate them because they break up the amorphous shape of those huge baggy tripp pants. in my mind they cease to exist between the times that i actually see them
i’ve lately really come to a resolve for my art to spend less time anally analyzing other people’s stuff and popular media and trying to reach that standard and just kinda practicing drawing character designs more from life / drawing from my own imagination/experiences and what i know
i mean, of course immersing yourself in the work of other artists is important and i still intend to do that but i feel myself sometimes taking design elements without understanding why it works– or what that element might even look like on a real person. and i rather love the natural, rustic caricaturized feel of the artists i admire and i know that sort of feel comes more from real life observation and having fun pushing unconventional cartooning than trying to synthesize other people’s symbols aggressively.
everything i draw and every storyline i produce feels weirdly derivative and i just kinda wanna change that.
Ok i’m kind of a huge loser and needed to draw this stuff to get it out of my system and I feel like I put enough time into it to… post it to my main blog.
I imagine Tom and Janna would have a great friendship where Janna is constantly giving Tom near heart-attacks. I actually want to draw more just general interaction stuff for them for fun, so I’ll do that later. I figured I’d post these on their own though.
i got really carried away but I LOVE WINGS!!!! I love birbs and wings and i don’t know why i don’t make more characters with wings.
Fanart of avian Keith and Shiro from @fishwrites’s Watercast fic! Outfits based on @marchingspace’s design with my own twist! I love designing fantasy outfits with functionality for weird anatomy i also love halter tops with a firey passion.
i’d like to take this moment to say that harpy eagles are my favorite species of eagle. o<-< They’re so cute and silly looking with their poofy crests but so badass.