I'm a first generation college student and I was wondering what above can you give me for what to bring to dorms? //Microwaves, refridgerator, stripper poles, parachutes, and hot plates are on a banned list of items for where I'm living v
Omg no way I honestly couldn’t live without my stripper pole 😂 For real though, I hope you have a communal microwave on each floor or something like that because you’re going to have a pretty hard time otherwise.
Personallly, I did not bring that much to college and I didn’t have any problems. Like if you need something, you’ll just ene up buying it. That said, here are some things you should probably have in the first week.
- A mini fridge is not essential but it does make a world of difference if you’re trying to not eat crap every day for a whole year
like I did. Definitely try and split the cost with your roommate because let’s be real, you’re both gonna end up using it anyway.
- A power strip
- If you have your own bathroom, get a suction cup shower caddy (and tbh, even if you have a communal bathroom, it’s great to not have to not leave your caddy on the floor). WARNING - they do fall from time to time so don’t leave anything that could shatter in there.
- An electric water boiler - that way you can make College Food™ (aka instant noodles) even without a microwave.Also obviously great for tea and such.
- Also an electric coffee maker
- Hangers - even if your dorm comes with some, there won’t be enough, trust me.
This is the kind of thing where if you don’t buy them your first day or bring them from home, it will sit in your shopping list for a whole semester.
- If you have a preference for warm or cool light and your dorm provides a desk lamp (if it doesn’t, get one), definitely check out the light bulb and get one that suits your preferences if that one doesn’t (it sounds like such a silly thing but personally I was miserable the first week until I got a cool light bulb).
- Laundry basket - honestly carrying your laundry in your hands is unconfortable af and pretty much impossible.
- HAMPER - literally if you take something away from this, get a hamper before you get there or as soon as you get there. It will save your room. Tip - get one with a lid to prevent the smell from spreading.
- Cups (at least two), at least one knife, fork and spoon (you can get the plastic ones but honestly just bring them from home because they work way better) and a pack of paper plates. If you do have a communal microwave, bring a normal plate too.
- A mini fan if you’re going omewhere where it’ much hotter than your current location.
- A stapler
- A mattress topper
- A thermos
- Command hooks
- A drying rack if your room doesn’t come with one. (If you intend to use the dryer, WHY? js but you’re for sure gonna have to iron after that).
- Extra underwear - look, doing laundry sucks and underwear is the first thing you’re gonna run out of.
- Flip flops
- Ear plugs
- One of those tiny af handheld vaccums
That’s all I can think of! Hope it helped a little. My best tip is to not overpack. You’re not going to a desert but to a college campus that’s probably full of shops.
(PS - so sorry this took me so long to get to. Hope it’s still relevant)