can you make a checklist on how to get into the gorillaz?? It seems like there is a lot out there and its hard to follow when i'm getting into it late.. thank you!!
Sure!!! I personally got into them by watching their G-bitez and music videos and it all kinda spiraled from there.
The band itself was made by Damon Albarn (Lead singer of Blur, does vocals and writes lyrics for Gorillaz) and Jamie Hewlett (Co-creator of the comic book “Tank Girl”, draws and animates for Gorillaz) after they were both watching MTV and they were like “hey music today sucks you know what’d be cool?? if we made an animated band” “cool we could call it ‘gorilla’ because we were both born on the year of the monkey!!!” sadly animal planet had already copyrighted “gorilla” so they just added a z to the end of it to make it cooler.
Something to know about Gorillaz is that they have “phases”. Phase 1 was in 2001, when they released their albums “Gorillaz”, “G-Sides” and “Laika come home”. Phase 1′s art style was cartoonish and used very thick lineart. Phase 2 was in 2005, when they released “Demon Days” and “D-sides”. Phase 2′s art style was a bit dark and looked more realistic. Phase 3 was in 2010, when they released the albums “Plastic Beach” and “The Fall” in 2011. Phase 3′s art style was almost the same as phase 2′s. Then we have Phase 4 in 2017, their new album “Humanz” is coming out April 28th. It’s art style is the one that stands out the most to me, you can find most of the art on Jamie Hewlett’s Instragram (Hewll)
Alright, a big part of me getting into the fandom was my love fore the characters. I’m assuming you’re not a fan yet, so let me introduce them to you (i’m going to use powerpoints to explain each member if u don’t mind):
This lovely lad here is Murdoc Faust Niccals.
- He’s the band’s leader/bassist, and he makes sure EVERYONE knows that’s it’s his band and only his. - He went through multiple other bands before he formed Gorillaz. - He was born on June 6th, 1966 in Stoke-on-Trent, England. As an infant he was abandoned on his father’s doorstep. - Had a very rough childhood, his father, Sebastian Niccals, would force him to preform on stage for booze money and it was absolutely humiliating for him. - His nose has been broken a of total 8 times. The first time was from a bully at his school, the 2nd time was from his older (and only) brother, Hannibal, because Murdoc had touched his records and the other 6 times were from Russel when he got caught “doing it” with 2D’s now ex-girlfriend in the bathroom stalls of Kong Studios
- His middle name was originally “Alphonse” but he changed it to “Faust” after making a deal with the Devil in phase 1 to make Gorillaz the “biggest band in the world”. That’s also how he got his bass, “El Diablo”.
- did i mention he was a satanist bc he is - He hangs around in his underwear a lot (especially in phase 2) - He likes to either get naked or start pelvic thrusting in like every video, so be careful, young anon. - He’s very crude but sometimes he can be very nice and adorable in some interviews ??? It’s so weird - He likes making weird noises, like, a lot. - Apparently can speak French and Spanish - His reason for turning green all of the sudden in phase 2 is either because of alcohol poisoning or due to him tanning himself green. Jamie himself said that it’s because he’s an immortalist and his skin is now rotting but I’m not sure how true it is. - He had a pet raven in phase 2!!! His name was Cortez and no one really knows what happened to him but Murdoc seemed to love that bird. - He also had a cape in phase 2 that he loved and wore like all the time but he lost it. Poor baby. - He was based off of a young 1960′s era KeithRichards. - He has a tongue longer than Gene Simmons’ and I’m not even kidding. His tongue is like a foot long - His genuine laugh can cure cancer - He had his own MTV cribs episode - Here’s a playlist of every interview he’s been in if you’d like to know a bit more about how he acts. - All of this sounds horrible but like half of the fandom sees him as charming and funny and the other half sees him as repulsive and downright mean so i guess listen to some of his interviews and make your decision (i’m part of the half that loves him)
This is 2D!!
- He’s the band’s singer, sometimes he plays the piano and melodica too. - He’s anxious and a bit timid around people. He’s not that intelligent, but he’s an absolute sweetheart to pretty much everyone. He’s … a huge dork. - He was born on May 23rd, 1978.
He was born in Hertfordshire, England and was raised in Crawley, England. When he was 10 he fell out of a tree and landed on his head, his hair fell out and grew back blue. He’s had horrible headaches since then, but his mother was a nurse and gave pills to help him out. - His real name is Stuart Pot - He loves horror films!!! Especially zombie movies. - Apparently he smells like butterscotch - He’s VERY tall. he’s like 6′1 and his legs make up most of his body. He towers over the rest of the band. - His voice actor is Nelson De Freitas, but Damon Albarn provides his singing voice - The lack of his two front teeth gives him an adorable accent - He has a crippling fear of whales - His eyes are black due to an 8-ball fracture that Murdoc gave him before the band was made when he crashed his car into the music store 2D worked at. - His eyes turn white when he’s stressed or scared. - His nickname “2D” stands for “Two Dents”. He’s called that because Murdoc’s car crash also gave him two dents in his head. - Murdoc is seen physically abusing 2D throughout phase 1-3, but there’s a very likely chance that he’s going to stop and make amends in phase 4!!! - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
- Everybody loves him. I love him. I don’t think it’s possible not to love him.
This is Russel Hobbs!!
- He’s the band’s drummer. He makes remixes too!!! - The living embodiment of “looks like he could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll” - Quite possibly the most underrated character in the world - He was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 3rd, 1975. He got possessed by a demon as a kid and fell into a coma for four years. After he woke up the demon got expelled tho - When he was a teen, him and his friends were involved in a drive-by shooting. Russel was the only survivor and all of his friends possessed him, but the only one we really get to see is his closest friend, Del, he raps in Clint Eastwood and Rock the House, but we haven’t seen him since phase 1. - Russel misses Del very dearly, poor lad. - After the whole shooting incident he was sent to the UK to live with his uncle. - HE SAVED 2D FROM BEING EATEN BY A WHALE. HE’S SO UNDERAPPRECIATED - He’s an actual giant in phase 3 because he ate some radioactive algae - He loves fezzes!!! - His hobby, besides music, is taxidermy. - He’s the dad friend - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
Last but not least, this is Noodle
- She plays guitar for the band. She also sings and writes songs sometimes - Noodle is very energetic and nice but she can also kick your ass - She was born in Osaka, Japan on October 31st 1990
- She joined the band when she was around 10 but she’s like 26 now. I forgot to mention that the band ages with real time - As a kid she was a part of a classified child super solider project under the management of a japanese scientist named Mr. Kyuzo. this is where she learned how to be badass. She knew professional karate at like 10 how cool is that - All of the children in that project were deemed too unstable and dangerous, so they canceled the experiment and Mr. Kyuzo was ordered to kill all of the children (fuckin dark i know). After killing them all, Mr. Kyuzo was reluctant to kill Noodle, so instead he put her in a state of amnesia and smuggled her to the UK by shipping her to Kong Studios in a FedEx crate. - She didn’t remember anything!!! The only english thing she was able to say to say was “noodle” and that’s where she got her name. - She learned how to speak english and remembered her past in phase 2. - Murdoc, 2D and Russel raised her (mostly russel tho). Noodle considers Murdoc and 2D her brothers and Russel considers her his daughter how CUTE IS THAT - She loves Pokemon - She had a flying windmill island in phase 2 it was incredible - She had a cute radio helmet in phase 1 - She also has a robot version of herself called “Cyborg Noodle” in phase 3. It’s a long story but Cyborg might be coming back for phase 4. - The interviews that she’s in can be found here!!
The backstory is too long for me to write down, but you can find it over here! I hope i explained everything clearly- if not, or if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message!! I hope this helps you c:
The human problem was growing bigger at an alarming pace.
Back when they first started travelling through space, most had viewed their
efforts as cute. Some had even cheered them on from afar. Of course, that was
before they realised what kind of creatures humans really are and what kind of
planet they originate on. Before they knew what humans did for fun.
The humans as a whole hadn’t attacked yet, but it was only a
matter of time before they gathered their forces. The Ktynarian species had to
As a result, they had commandeered a human craft, and with eight Ktynarians to every human, they’d managed to gain control of the vessel
and the horrible creatures within.
Unfortunately it was common knowledge that getting a fully
grown human to talk was a near impossible feat. Fortunately, there were several
younglings on the ship. The majority were younglings actually, which was a
surprise. Upon further investigation it was revealed the ship was operated by a
training facility of the category ‘school’.
After separating the humans into smaller groups to minimise
the risks of organised resistance, Commander Yldrik picked one of the medium
sized younglings to interrogate – having heard that the bigger posed a threat
in size, but that the smallest were often quick and nimble
Yes, the medium sized one were surely the easiest to make a
first attempt on. And if that failed, they still had a plethora of other humans
to interrogate. One of them would surely give them some useful information.
Some of the humans were secreting some sort of fluid from
their optical organs, some making noises the Ktynarians couldn’t identify, but
instructing them to be quiet seemed to just make them more intent on making the
noises. Deciding it would be best to leave xir soldiers to deal with it,
Commander Yldrik turned xir focus to the youngling xe had selected.
“What is your objective,” xe asked. Getting straight to the
point had seemed like the best method, but the human didn’t seem to comprehend.
“What is your objective? What are you here to accomplish?” xe repeated, seemingly surprising the human. Perhaps they hadn’t expected to be
confronted, or for the Ktynarians to be suspicious of them. Clearly the humans
had underestimated them.
“Well, I mean, a B would be great, but I’d settle for a C
too,” the human responded, something in their mouth gleaming slightly. Under
different circumstances Yldrik would have paid it more attention, but xe was
preoccupied deciphering what the human had said.
A bee was a creature from the humans’ home planet, and
apparently vital to their ecosystem. A sea however, was a large body of a
particular kind of water, and their planet seemed to be largely consisting of
it. Why would they possibly want more of it?
“It’s not my best subject,” they said, elevating an upper
part of their anatomy. Yldrik knew xe had been informed of the meaning behind
the movement, but xe had finally noticed something different about the human’s
teeth. Something worrying.
“Bare your teeth.” The human seemed surprised by the order,
but complied after a brief hesitation.
The sight that met xem was terrifying, even for someone with
as much experience as Yldrik.
“W-what are those?”
The human looked perplexed at first, but seemed to
understand what xe was referring to fairly quickly.
“You mean my braces?” the human asked before baring their
teeth further. A grin. At least that was what xe thought the action was named
by the humans. “It’s just metal. You see, my mouth had too many teeth in it, so
they got a bit out of order. Crooked and all, you know? So when I was about
thirteen my parents took me to a dentist who basically attached metal to them
to force them to stay in place. Cool, huh?”
The tone in which the human spoke did no justice to the
horrors that laid in their words. They spoke as if they didn’t realise how terrifying
this information was – no, come to think about it, they spoke as if they enjoyed the horrors they’d clearly been
“And this was necessary for your survival?” xe asked, seeing
no other reasonable explanation.
“No, no it’s just because it looks better,” the human said,
repeating the elevation of an upper part of their anatomy. They did something
else too, with an appendage of theirs, but Yldrik was done paying attention.
In record time, every single Ktynarian had vacated the ship,
control of which had been returned to the humans. Fortunately their ship had a
far higher maximum speed than the humans.
Their only chance at survival would clearly be to stay as
far away from the humans as possible. If they attacked, the Ktynarians would
have no other option than to flee. A species willing to do things like that to
their own young – for aesthetic reasons no less – was not a species one wanted
to go to war against.
lol how do you think aliens would react to finding out about identical twins?
Okay so at first I was like… human diversity in looks is pretty unique (to my knowledge with the exception of species we’ve tampered with i.e pigeons) and speaks to our historical lack of serious predators. But then I thought about aliens knowing this but then huMaNS SUDDENLY LOOK THE SAME?!?!?!
IS THIS A “PRANK”???
THEY’RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE DEVELOPED SUCCESSFUL CLONING TECHNOLOGY YET?!?
ARE THEY SICK?!?
Followed by the human twins in question just going off on the standard answers with a sigh.
“Yes we’re twins, yes we’re identical, no we can not feel each other’s pain, yes we do argue occasionally, no we do not have psychic powers-” at which point the alien just cuts them off because wtf some humans havE PSYCHIC POWERS!?!? Clearly some do, seeing as these humans are so used to being asked if they’re one of them. And there have been accounts of it in written form - the various YA novels descriptions come to mind. A human once said these were written lies, but with so many accounts of it, that sounds less likely than it just being something they want to keep secret.
Identically looking human psychics are quickly added as point number 492 to The Grand List of Reason NOT to Mess With Humans.
Can you do a solangelo where will spends the night in the hades cabin and then they're really embarrassed
Will hadn’t meant to fall asleep.
He’d just been very tired last night. He’s been working nonstop at the infirmary, his infirmary, and there had been a lot of kids that needed patching up after the round of capture the flag with the Roman kids. Will should know better, and it’s not like he doesn’t trust his siblings, it’s just. A complex, maybe. Anyway, all he remembers from yesterday is that he’d stumbled into the medicine cabinet one too many times, and Kayla had finally had enough, shoving him out the door and into Nico’s waiting arms, telling him to “get some rest before you come back, or so help me.”
And now he’s… here.
Here is inside the Hades cabin, lying in Nico’s bed, an arm trapping him under the covers and something warm pressed against his side. Will blinks again, just to make sure he isn’t still dreaming.
The body beside him shifts, and Will turns his head to find himself face-to-face with Nico’s throat. He freezes. Nico swallows, and Will watches his Adam’s apple bob slightly with the movement.
“Uh,” he says. “Nico?”
Nico stirs. The arm thrown over Will’s chest moves, and then groggy brown eyes are staring down at him. “Oh,” Nico says, yawning. “Good morning.”
“Good, uh, good morning to you, too.” Will pushes himself up slowly. He does feel better rested than he has in days, but he can feel heat quickly rising in his cheeks. “Um. This is—I mean, thanks for, uh, taking care of me last night?”
“It’s fine,” Nico says. He seems to be waking up more rapidly now, shifting backwards to put some space between them. “I thought here might be quieter than your cabin, and then I couldn’t wake you up, so…” He shrugs, eyes anywhere but Will’s face. “Are you feeling better?”
They both stare at separate walls, pretending the blush on their cheeks doesn’t exist. Will can imagine what his siblings will say and the raised eyebrows their friends will give them, but he can still feel the warmth of Nico against him. He risks a glance back and finds the other boy already watching him.
Face still flushed pink, Will chances a smile. “Want to get breakfast with me?”
Nico looks away, but there’s a small smile playing on his lips, too. “Okay.”
how would aliens react to tattoos? like, some humans undergo large amounts of pain to have an image permanetly inked on their skin and sometimes the reason is no more than "eh, it looks cool"
“Human Tyler, you seem to have acquired pigmented particles under your skin.” Rytrinq began, trying to gain their attention at the same time as xe remained polite and considerate. “Do you wish time to cleanse yourself?” Xe asked, quite pleased with xemself for remembering the appropriate question.
“Fuck off, don’t be rude.” Human Tyler repeated, looking enraged for some reason. Granted, Rytrinq didn’t have the longest experience deciphering human mannerisms, but the wording didn’t leave much room for ambiguity. “This took a loot of time, and I’ll have you know I’m really happy with how it turned out.” They added, baffling Rytrinq further.
“You got dirt under your skin on purpose?” Xe asked, getting more confused each time Tyler spoke. Fortunately, it seemed they realised xe genuinely didn’t understand. Or at least they were willing to indulge him.
“It’s not dirt. It’s ink, and yes. It’s called a tattoo. It’s art.” They said, clearly still angry, though they did look slightly less terrifying, which xe decided to count as progress. Xe had heard that human art came in many forms, but xe had never heard of one involving the human body itself.
“Human Tyler, that is immensely intriguing. How is it made?” Xe asked, relieved when they seemed to realise it was a case of cultural confusion rather than xem being purposefully rude.
“Well, you go to a tattoo artist, and they make the design and then make a sort of template, I guess you could call it. Anyway, they put that on the place you want the tattoo, and it transfers a bit of ink so the artist’s got something to guide them. And then they have this machine, which is basically a bunch of needles that pierce the skin with ink. Which the artist use to sort of draw on the skin, leaving cool art like this.” Human Tyler said, adding a pointed look for the last part while showing off the art. Rytrinq was however too worried - and quite frankly terrified - to think too much about it.
“It pierces your skin and drags the ink machine through your skin? Is that not painful?” Xe asked
“What? No, no it goes up and down into the skin. If you drag it without the needles getting up you’ll end up with big scars. It does kind of hurt, but it’s not that bad.” They answered, clearly believing that to sound better. As if getting stabbed multiple times was no big deal.
“What purpose does it serve? Is it a hierarchical or sociological requirement?”
“No, some people don’t even like them. Think they look unprofessional or whatever bullshit like that. But it doesn’t really have a purpose.” Human Tyler answered with a brief elevation of their shoulder area.
“Then why do you put yourself through the pain?” Xe wondered. They had to have some reason after all, right?
“Eh, it looks cool. I mean, I just really like daffodils, always have. They’re cool.” They said, once again reminding Rytrinq that xe would never fully understand humans.
Prompt: if John had been resurrected instead of Mary.
He’s never seen his boys look at him quite like that. Or each other, for that matter. His hands tremble when he lifts his cup of coffee to his lips and drinks, and while it feels good to have something hot inside him, feels like it’s anchoring him here, he can’t shake off the feeling that he doesn’t quite belong, that he should be… somewhere else.
And his boys? God, what the years have done to them.
It’s been a mess of a few days. First, he was at the hospital - after that comes a blank, a void that feels like it still calls for him. Then, suddenly, he was there again, standing on a lawn in the middle of the night, staring at his son as a man much older and worn than he last saw him. From there onwards, it’s only gotten worse: chases mix with angels and secret societies, torture with magical healing. His head is spinning.
“How are you feeling, Sam?” he asks from the man across the table, a man who is so different from the boy he sent to fetch him a cup of coffee the moment his deal was due.
He seems broader now. Taller, even, if that’s possible. He’s got longer hair and eyes that have seen it all. Chapped pink lips with just enough space between them to let a sigh through.
“I’m - I’m fine, Dad.”
He is not fine, but neither is Dean, and neither is John. As if sensing this, Dean moves closer to his brother - he’s chosen to have his own coffee upright, as if to make sure that nothing else touches Sam. Well, some things haven’t changed, at least.
“Good.” A brief silence replaces the tense conversation, but only for a few moments. Then John places his cup down and clears his throat. “I want you boys to catch me up on everything that I’ve missed.”
“Can’t it wait?” Dean asks him. He’s always been this way, more anxious than Sam, constantly longing for peace and quiet. It seems that in this place, he may have finally gotten to experience some of it. The way he moves in this place, the way he treats it, it’s like he’s found home here.
John lets his eyes trace the large room. It’s a funny home.
“I know you’re tired,” he says then, moving his gaze back to his boys who look just about ready to crash, “but I need to know. Why don’t we start with something easy and continue from there later? Tell me how you found this place.”
The brothers exchange looks, and finally, Dean seats himself next to Sam. He looks at John and considers his words for a moment.
“Yeah, about that,” he says in a careful voice, “It all starts with you, actually.”
John lifts his brows.
“Or - your father,” Sam corrects, and Dean nods.
“Yeah. So you might want to strap in. There’s a lot more to our family than you ever knew, Dad.”
Clearing his throat, John lifts his cup back to his lips. “Fill me in, then.”
Aliens reacting to our mess of alien horror films please?
Jostedalsbreen had been on the primarily human vessel for almost thirty of their rotations now, and was confident enough to say xe knew a lot about humans and their cultures by now.
Xe even knew of the concept of popcorn, which apparently was going to be relevant for the end-of-roation bonding they referred to as ‘moovee naigt’ apparently they would view a classic of some sort. It sounded like an art form similar to theatre - which Jostedalsbreen had read about.
When xe arrived at the designated room xe had no idea what horrors awaited xem. At first it seemed pleasurable enough, but it didn’t take long before xe was as good as frozen to xir seat, silently bemoaning the evolutionary trait that rendered xem unable to move.
Fortunately, one of the humans - Communications Officer Moreau - seemed to take notice not too long after, and end the horrific ordeal on the screen. Jostedalsbreen needed some time to recover before xe was able to communicate in a way the humans would understand, but once xe was ready, xe knew what xe had to ask.
“W- what was that?”
“The movie?” Moreau asked before they seemed to realise the problem. “It’s fictitious, don’t worry. Purely for entertainment value.”
Clearly the humans didn’t realise how unsettling that statement was. “You find footage of your own species being ripped to shreds funny?” Xe asked in disbelief, almost scared of what the answer would be. Humans did have a reputation after all, but from what xe had seen, it seemed to be largely undeserved. Even if they seemed to have no idea what self-preservation meant, and came from a truly terrifying world.
“No, no, of course not. It’s scary,” they answered, causing a wave of relief to wash over Jostedalsbreen. Until they continued, that is. “That’s what we like about it.”
The shock xe experienced must have shown, because Moreau didn’t stop there. “I’m not really sure why or how it works, but getting scared is funny sometimes. Like, when someone sneaks up behind you and scare you, and for some reason you end up laughing because the person who snuck up on you scared you? That ever happen to you?”
It took longer than it should have for Jostedalsbreen to realise that they weren’t joking, nor was the question rhetorical. “No. How would someone attacking you be entertaining?”
“I don’t know, it just is. And they’re not actually attacking, they’re just… you know. Giving you a spook.”
Pretending to understand what they meant, xe moved xir head in what humans considered a sign of agreement, realising xe had been a fool to think xe could ever understand humans.
I love your writing!!!! For Solangelo could you write the first time Nico ever kisses Will in front of their friends? Nico's not one for PDA at all so it's a big step ygm
His eyes are still closed and his face too pale, so pale his freckles stand out sharply on his skin. Nico’s hands hover, uncertain, shaking, the roar of his increased heartbeat in his ears. It wasn’t supposed to be like this.
They’ve managed to kill the monsters and get some ambrosia into Will but Nico can’t help but worry. Will has never been this quiet before. He’s always moving, ready to help, legs bouncing even when they’re sitting. Nico can count the number of times he’s seen Will without some sort of smile on his face and he would have fingers leftover. This is one of them.
It must have been only a few minutes, though to Nico it felt like hours, when blue eyes blink open. A grimace crosses Will’s face as his senses return to him. “Wh—What’s going—?”
“Will,” Nico says, and Will’s eyes flick over to meet his, falling silent at the look on his face. “Oh, thank the gods.”
“Nico—?” Will’s voice is cut off when Nico suddenly leans forwards, pressing their lips together briefly. He blinks, dazed, as Nico knocks their foreheads together, and stays there. Wordlessly, Will reaches up and holds him back.
Their friends are still around them, picking up after themselves and patching each other up, but Nico pays them no mind. Will’s here, warm, alive, and that’s all that matters.