tips from a grocery store cashier:
- group the produce, foods, and non-foods (especially chemicals) as you put them on the belt. it makes bagging things way easier.
- yes, we know they’ve rearranged the store. we can’t find anything either.
- we know you’ve been standing in line for (insert period of time). we’re going as fast as we can.
- don’t tell us to open more lanes. if they’re closed, there’s a reason and that reason is probably that we don’t have enough cashiers on hand.
- we stand for 4-10 hours a day repeating the same conversation over and over and over. forgive us if we forget whether or not we’ve asked about coupons already.
- if you’re buying alcohol or cold medicine and look under 40, have your id out and ready to go.
- for the sake of my admittedly slipping sanity, please do not remove your chip card before it makes the ungodly shrieking beep and tell you that you can remove it.
- if it won’t scan, do not even start to think the word “free”