“The Damned” Quotes/Jokes/References
Check out what “The Damned” brought us:
- “Black Laughs Matter”
This post will be updated with more Quotes/Jokes tomorrow!
- The episode’s title, “The Damned” is referring to how the characters who quit Twitter are viewed as cursed, ghosts, etc. In traditional Christian belief, to be “damned” is to be “condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell”.
- The cops investigate Cartman’s “Twitter suicide” as really being a “Twitter homicide” as actual cops would investigate if a suspicious suicide is really a homicide.
- Presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are still in a dead heat race with Clinton currently having a 3-point average lead in national polls.
- Trump did minor preparations for the first presidential debate, while Clinton did major preparations including mock debates.
- The old farmer is based on the farmer from the film Pet Sematary and this is his fifth appearance on the show.
- The Member Berries continue to represent and satirize nostalgia. Randy discovering that there are so many of them and the Member Berries arguing over to “member’” the ‘80s or the ‘90s, shows that people have nostalgia for different time periods. Randy mentions that “other forces” could be at work, so this storyline will likely continue.
- The myth of the supernatural-being called a “troll,” originated in Scandinavian folklore. The “troll doll” was created by a Danish woodcutter. This is why the Danish characters say they have experience dealing with trolls.
- Next week is the first break week, the next new episode will air on October 12. Get some rest!
I Learned Something Today (interpretations of the episode’s messages):
- People who quit or don’t use social media are viewed as social outcasts even if they are living perfectly normal lives [Cartman quitting Twitter and joining Heidi at the park].
- When you troll on the Internet, you can’t control how seriously your target takes your attack so it could lead to terrible unintended consequences [Gerald’s trolling unintentionally causing the Danish Olympian to kill herself].
- Trolling on the Internet gives you the comfort of anonymity, but if your real identity is discovered then you may not be proud of your actions being publicly associated with your real name [Gerald freaking out over his real identity being discovered].
- Donald Trump is not prepared to be President of the United States, but his campaign speaks to the public who wants a non-politician in office, which explains his popularity. Trump is making shocking statements in an attempt to throw the election because he does not actually want to be President due to the job’s massive responsibilities [Mr. Garrison telling his supporters not to vote for him, which causes his supporters to love him more for speaking from his heart. Also, Randy deciding to support Mr. Garrison due to his honesty].
- Hillary Clinton is prepared to be President, but her personality and instincts are too manufactured and disconnected from what the public wants, which explains why she is not easily defeating the less experienced candidate in the polls [Hillary Clinton robotically repeating a phrase from her handlers].
Did I miss anything? Comment/reblog/message me and I’ll update the post!