coming out tips
we’ve gotten a lot of asks about this in the past few days and can’t answer all of them – here’s a little list of tips. feel free to add on!
- be calm. you got this. be firm and decisive.
- give them time to process. tell whoever you’re coming out to, then leave them alone for a while so they don’t act impulsively and get upset.
- coming out via text or a similar method is okay.
- don’t come out if you aren’t ready, or if your safety isn’t guaranteed. it isn’t worth risking.
- be prepared to bust myths about your sexuality (yes mom, bi people can be monogamous)
- be prepared to answer questions! leave communication channels open and make sure they know you’re open to answering questions.
- be prepared to debate a little, especially if the people you’re coming out to are religious or conservative.
- stay calm. you can handle it, and i believe in you.