Jack-O-Lantern Hand PiesYields 8-12 pies
Things you’ll needIngredients
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ vanilla bean
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening, chilled
- ½ cup salted butter, chilled
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (11.25-ounce) can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Pie dish
- Rubber spatula
- Small ice cream scoop
- Pan spray
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet lined with parchment
- Pumpkin cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
Let’s get started!
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, vanilla bean, and salt.
- Add cubed butter and shortening and work between fingers until
- Drizzle in ice-cold buttermilk and then use your hands to form dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 disks and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours to set.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl combine all the filling ingredients and whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- Pour into a greased pie dish and bake for 60 to 75 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before filling Jack-O-Lanterns.
Time to decorate!
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface and then cut out pumpkin shapes. On half of the pumpkins, use small and medium triangle cutters to create the face of the Jack-O-Lantern.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of filling onto the plain pumpkin cutouts and then spread it just enough to leave a border around the edges.
- Brush some egg wash around the edges of the edges and then top it with a Jack-O-Lantern face. Gently press down on the edges so that the two sides stick together and then brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Remove from oven to egg wash once more and then place back in the oven for 7 minutes.