Highlights from Michael Chu’s AMA
- Fareeha ‘Pharah’ Amari is a classic rock fan (’I am the Rocket Queen!’)
- About the family Reaper was looking at in Reflections, Chu states that ‘it’s not a random family’.
- Not every hero will get a short. But all of them will get new interactions
- Someday they’ll actually do the birthdays of the heroes, “but probably not soon just to make sure we don’t accidentally make some date mistakes in continuity" - Chu
- Chu states that he would also love to explore more of Hanzo’s story, both before the fight with Genji, and after Dragons, to see what his reaction to confronting his brother again is
- Genji’s father gave him the nickname of Sparrow, and Sparrow was actually the nickname the devs used for him while Genji was in development
- It’s still up in the air who answers Overwatch’s recall, and who doesn’t
- The omnic language is not easily translatable to English. It’s not intended to be a language that humans (who haven’t been augmented) could read easily
- The Hero short takes place right around the time of the Recall
- Tracer is apparently, a fan of Diego Costa (and maybe even Chelsea?)
- There is, apparently, a lot of lore that has been worked out but not
revealed to the public
- Examples of this include when they create a new hero/map/story, there is a lot of backstory behind it that they don’t reveal, and will reveal over time
- Mei and Efi are the best ‘doodlers’ (drawers) in the game
- Mei loves beef noodle soup
- Apparently, Torbjörn has a pretty interesting cat that may or may not have a jetpack on it
- Lúcio gets intense whenever Brazil plays Argentina.
(Maybe he’s just tired of hearing Decime qué se siente so much.)
- Chu also says that moving forward, some of the characters who have been underdeveloped will see some attention, and there will be a focus on Talon as well
- There will also be further exploration of Widowmaker, and her tragic backstory
- The Human Hating Gorillas on the moon, like the moon more than they do the earth. So they don’t want to come back down here
- Revisiting the subject about who knows Reaper’s identity in the current timeline of Overwatch: “To clarify about the Reaper/Reyes thing, yes it is because they have not met in the ‘current day’ of Overwatch. The interactions in the game are meant to be what ifs. I do think that McCree would known that Reaper was Reyes if he encountered him.”
- And finally, the answer to the most important question of all was never answered:
The world may never know.
The full AMA is right here if you’re interested in reading it.