The research, led by the National Institute of Psychiatry, interviewed 250 transgender people and found that it is not a mental disorder as once believed. Apparently, distress and impairment are the two essential characteristics of a mental disorder, and they found transgender people can experience some distress but not because they are transgender, but because of social rejection and violence.
And this is why White Supremacy and American Capitalism are inextricably linked and have been since before the country’s founding.
White Supremacy enforces the oppression of capitalism by coercing the white working poor into forcing the black and brown working poor into submission while they are all as a class being economically oppressed. The white working poor are just bestowed whiteness and the perks that come with it, but their labor is still exploited for the wealthy’s profits all the same.
Let Jewish people have “goyim.” Let gays and lesbians have the “heteros/straights.” Let black people complain about “crackers.” Let Latinos have the “gringos.” Let PoC have white people jokes. Let women complain about men.
Let marginalized people express distance from their oppressors. Let the marginalized turn their oppressors into the Other. Let marginalized people exist in a way that inconveniences and irritates their oppressors, because the oppressors have been doing worse for years.
Some things about Net Neutrality being threatened that I haven’t seen many comments on:
- The OOOONNLY people benefiting from this possible rollback are corporate shareholders.
- The removal of NN would result in few if any new jobs whatsoever, so any argument that it would help the economy is null and void (btw, we’re not actually in a recession anymore, in case anyone still thought that. The US’s economy, while it has plateaued in actual growth at about 2%, it’s actually pretty high in the business cycle.)
- Limitation and partisan censorship is a major concern (I lied that one is what everyone is talking about)
- In fact it will HURT online businesses, which will damage the small business sector in general.
- And last but not least: It is going to have a majorly negative impact on the education system. I just finished highschool in May and let me tell you, even rural schools are getting more and more technology and internet dependent. Students frequently, if not regularly, are sent home with online assignments. How can students possibly be expected to finish an online homework assignment if they can’t even remotely begin to afford internet? This is already an issue in rural and poor and POC dominated areas, and should Net Neutrality be removed and access to the internet be placed back into money hungry corporate hands, it will be an even more massive and far worse problem that will only perpetuate low education levels in these areas. what if their assignment requires research on a website that their partisan provider has decided to censor? You get a zero. Especially if you’re a college student that can’t afford another $150 a month just to get ok-ish internet speeds.
- This gives me great concern for marginalized and outcast kids. The internet has been one of the very, very few places where LGBT+ and POC children and people in general can go and feel safe and accepted and loved and celebrated for how/who they are. Imagine that that’s the ONLY place you feel safe and okay and then that gets taken away from you. Early teen suicide rates are already high enough.
This is all just a disgusting money grab by the GOP and other politicians who are invested in cable and cellular companies. Call or message your congressional representatives to oppose. Drown them in resistance. I’ve already found several posts with links that let you do that.