How do you imagine a date with dd ford to go? <3
hmM let’s drop the dd context (i haven’t actually played it and it’s hard enough trying to reason a crossover) and say it’s for a gf dating sim in gf. the player is new to the town, to make things easier. the dateable options are stan, ford, fidds, manly dan, lazy susan, and if you choose to hang out in the forest for three weeks straight you unlock sev’ral times. (if you happen to be on manly dan’s route when you switch over to them, though, you break his heart.) please don’t ask me why i have made these choices.
the game takes place over a summer and the game runs by the week, so you get 10 weeks, with one event to hear about per week. (the exception is summerween, which bumps the event count up to two for that week.) the 1st week is dedicated to the intro, 9th week is for the confession, 10th week is for the wrap-up. the weeks in-between are dedicated to character interactions, so at max 7 chances to interact. we’ll go with dd’s 3 dates system, so you could do 2-2-3 in order to test out 3 people’s routes before committing to one of them for the confession. if you know who you want and dedicate all 7 weeks to them (like i’d do lol) you just get to spend time with them after maxing them out at 3 dates. (this time is conveyed through a one-sentence summary to make it easier on the writer, though, so don’t expect full-fledged events.)
- 1st week: your first encounter with ford isn’t an encounter but rather just a passing glimpse of him with stan, heading up to the shack. word is that the pines have returned for the summer– both sets of twins– and you get to ask around about them. (you hear “never mind all that“ a lot.)
- your 1st date happens in the forest on a solitary hike. doesn’t matter how but you come across ford in mild peril (or ford in mild peril comes across you), and you help him out and he’s a little scraped and a little gruff but gives you a small smile at some point. you can choose to walk him back to the shack, engage in some conversation, and if you do well you leave with an invitation to drop by again sometime. (ford’s making a clear effort to be sociable but he’s a little awkward at it bc he just spent all the time between last summer and this summer out on the sea chasing paranormal activity.)
- if you liked what u saw of ford u return for the 2nd date and find him playing dd&md with dipper, and you’re invited to join in. u roll ur character and attempt to read through the seemingly never-ending scrolling text of rules that flies across the screen, and regardless of whether you Actually made the attempt to read them ford gives you a friendly nudge and tells you he’ll help you out. ford’s theatrical and enthusiastic and perfect and has all the right reactions at all the right times during dipper’s campaign, and there’s a lot of laughter shared across the board. when the session ends you have the option to take your character sheet w you and promise to return to see the campaign played out.
- the 3rd date, ford asks you out for a nice excursion to the forest. he basically shows you around what he spent his life in this dimension studying and documenting and talks a little about the weird things he saw on the sailing trip he returned from. at this point, if you’ve gained a bit of his trust, he’ll admit that he’s at a loss as to how to “date” and that’s why he went with something familiar, and you get to go, this is a date?? and ford goes, “It’s a date if you want it to be. …I want it to be,” and you smile and he grins. the date winds down and the two of you return to the shack, his hand in yours
- now at this point the 3 dates are satisfied but i’m not, so let’s keep going and fill out the maximum of 7 weeks
- the 4th “date” you spend the day in the shack’s kitchen baking w ford and mabel. mabel’s too-sugary too-nostalgic concoction, combined with some weird sci-fi radiation from ford’s watch, gains sentience and drags the three of you into The Baking Zone.
- the 5th “date” you join ford and the rest of the family for a movie night that covers some of the big movies ford missed while in the portal. (you find yourself often watching him watch them.)
- the 6th “date” you find ford’s wardrobe of identical red turtlenecks and black pants and ask him if he even has anything else to wear, and things kinda become a dressup game. (i just want an excuse for a sweater-vested, button-up shirt ford sprite.)
- the 7th “date” ford sits you down and tells you you should probably hear his whole story, and he’s as ready as he’ll ever be to tell it. you hear abt gf and bill and the portal and coming back and weirdmageddon, and everything you’d only ever heard ford make passing references is finally filled out.
- 9th week: ford presents you with a pet kraken and officially asks you to go steady. he confesses that he’s not sure how courting gifts work, or if they’re even a thing here ‘cause he doesn’t trust stan’s love advice, but mabel thought the kraken was a great gesture. (the kraken spits out some glitter, and ford makes a concerned frown at it.)
- 10th week: there’s still plenty of paranormal activity out there for ford to get back to studying, and there’s still life for you to get back to, but you promise to stay in contact, and ford says he’ll come by your area. it’s a long distance deal until next summer, but if you’ve played his route right the relationship lasts.