The ‘How are you?’ check list post
• Did you eat?
• Have you been drinking water?
• Have you had your hug?
• Have you taken your medication?
• Don’t worry, you look amazing.
• It’s okay to take the day off.
• Stay in if you don’t feel like going out.
• Do you need to be alone right now?
• If you feel like you’re disassociating, try counting your fingers or looking at your finger whorls. Remember that they are unique to you, that you are real.
• If you are having a panic attack:
1: Ground yourself to reality with something familiar like a keychain or even pictures of something on your phone. [Cats and dogs are good.] Also, do not trust everything your mind/body is telling you right now. Thoughts like, ‘i’m going to die’, ‘everyone is leaving me’, ‘everyone hates me’, are a part of the panic, try not to linger on them, because they will only make it worse.
2: Find a space that feels the safest for you, and stay there.
3: Take slow, deep breaths. After breathing in, hold it for a few seconds before breathing out.
4: Stimulate your mind with something simple, and not stressful. Tap your fingers, re-read nice messages from someone, play a game one your phone that doesn’t require any thought or is timed.
5: You are doing a really good job. You don’t have to feel embarrassed. You are not alone. You are strong.
• Have you spoken today?
• Don’t feel guilty for feeling upset, you’re allowed to.
• Did you brush your teeth?
• If someone’s misgendered you today, and you’re out, correct them if you can.
• You don’t always have to be brave. You can hide today, if that’s what you need.
• Take a deep breath.
• If you’re wearing a binder, raise your arms and take several deep breaths. Cough to clear your lungs.
• Don’t be afraid, you’re not alone.
• If you’ve been sitting a while, stand up and stretch.
• Eat something sweet. (If you like it)
• You’re awesome.