PSA for my lovelies with curly hair.
So, I went so long not knowing how to look after my curls and how to make them pretty that I hated them and always put them up or straightened them. So, I thought why not share what I’ve learned.
- Use a cotton shirt or a microfiber towel instead of your usual towel (Your hair will be less frizzy and less dry)
- Only shampoo your scalp or go the “no-poo” method. (Shampooing all over your head drys your hair out and can ruin your curls)
- Only use conditioner on your ends (Putting it all over your hair flattens it)
- Only comb your hair when your in the shower, when you put conditioner in (Combing after your shower ruins your curl pattern or combing when your hair is dry will make your hair poofy)
- Do not use brushes. Brushes are damaging to curly hair. Finger-comb or use a wide-toothed comb instead.
- Try to blow dry your hair as little as possible, the best thing for curls is to air dry but if you’re in a hurry use a diffuser which minimizes frizz by evenly distributing the heat.
- If you have frizz issues get a Frizz cream but don’t overuse it or your hair will be hard, sticky or just gross.
- If you can afford it (as it can be expensive) try to not use products with Silicates, Silicone’s or Sulfates. If you can’t avoid them try to only get Moisturizing/hydrating shampoo and conditioners
- If possible get a satin pillowcase, scarf or cap to put over your hair while you sleep to help keep your curls intact and less frizzy.
- Wait till your hair is 100% dry before going to sleep or you WILL ruin your curls.
- Don’t put your hair up in a wrap/towel turban after you wash your hair as it wrecks your natural curl pattern. Instead, wring your hair out over the tub then do the scrunch and squeeze method to get out more water while encouraging your curls. Then use a cotton shirt or microfiber towel to scrunch your hair more.
- Get layers in your haircuts the more layers the more bouncy and curly your hair will be, the fewer layers to the more weighed down and less curly your hair will be.
- Do not wash your hair every day, Curly hair tends to be naturally dry and this is damaging. I personally wash mine every 3-4 days and it works for me.
- When your hair is wet is the best time to do anything to it. Once curly hair is dry there is no changing it.
- Avoid products with alcohol as they are very drying.
- Don’t use heat. (I haven’t used heat in my hair in 4-5 months and my hair is doing so much better)
- Try the pineapple method when going to sleep. Gather all your curls into a loose ponytail at the top of your head. (I recommend not doing this tell you absolutely gonna lay down and go to bed cause for me, I get a headache from sitting up with it.
Also, check out this video as it was super helpful to me!
I hope this helps and any questions you have, send me an ask and I will try my best to answer it :)