I love Tangled too and I was wondering why it's your favorite?
I was nearly finished writing this but then accidentally refreshed the page and I had to start all over again, but I need to get this out. It might feel a little rushed but I wrote this down before and I wanted to keep it shorter this time.
- Eugene and Rapunzel are both amazing characters. Eugene is one of my favorite Disney characters ever, with his charm and funny personality, yet his backstory touches me every time. The way he deals with it really played with the ‘what’s good and bad’ question, and his development is amazing.
It’s difficult for me to love or even accept a female lead in any movie or series because they get portrayed badly most of the time, but I absolutely love Rapunzel. She’s a little clumsy and too excited about everything, but yet badass and cute and gets things done. Bless her.
- Maximus and Pascal are the best sidekicks. I love the relationship and development between Maximus and Eugene, and Pascal is all the sassy cuteness you need in this movie.
- One of the most quotable movies ever. I feel like there’s a quote for everything and I use them all the time.
- Onto an important part. Mother Gothel is the best Disney villain because she is so painfully realistic. As someone with a toxic/mentally abusive/narcissistic mom, I recognize a lot of the things she says and the way she acts- how she tries to look good and protecting while in fact all she does is abuse her power to get what she wants. Now I can elaborate on this but it’s pretty simple. Disney shows how mothers can be, and Mother Gothel says many things that are very realistic as to what toxic mothers say in real life. Especially Mother Knows Best Reprise is very good in this (which, by the way, is one of the best villain songs Disney ever made ngl).
- Another thing, Disney shows that saying ‘I love you’ doesn’t have to mean it’s true. It’s something people with toxic parents struggle a lot with. Mother Gothel seems to take good care of Rapunzel and wanting to protect her, as if Rapunzel should be grateful. Rapunzel actually sings about this.This song means way more than the fact she can’t get out of the tower. It’s pointing at the manipulation again. Mother Gothel has always said she loved Rapunzel and always made it look like she did, like she was the good one It leaves Rapunzel with guilt which is shown at the end when Mother Gothel falls and Rapunzel still tries to save her- despite her knowing that she’s been bad all the time.
- Next to this, they also quickly discuss the thought of ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ during I’ve Got A Dream. Again a masterful work of music and a great thought behind it. Eugene’s part is so good as well- most of the time, ‘wanting money’ is something evil, but it’s not this time. I’m really glad this is included.
- Most of the times with Disney movies, there’s one or a few songs I don’t like. I love all the songs in Tangled, got nothing else to say about that. They’re just terrific.
- I got to mention, the aesthetics of this movie. Don’t tell me those lanterns aren’t beautiful to you. Everything about this movie, the colors, the scenery, the music, the sounds, the vibes, the animations… it’s all so pleasing and I can’t get enough.
Please tell me if there’s something I haven’t covered enough yet. I could talk about this movie for hours but I should really go to sleep now.