I’ve been in this nail art mood lately, ironic, I cant ever keep nailpolish on my fingers. But anyways, I attempted the ombré nail art and failed, tremendously. (If anyone has pointers for that, I’d love to hear them!)
So, since the ombré looked so horrific, I tried the newspaper technique. I just found a video on YouTube, and it was as easy as it looks! Not even kidding!
A lot of people love to paint their nails and toenails all year round. But now especially, when we start to default to flip-flops and sandals, painting nails can become really fun.
The “newspaper nails" is a really cute nail trend that looks professionally done, while also sophisticated and fun.
Here's how to do it:
- squares of newspaper a little bigger than your nails (personalize with whatever newspaper content you want ^.^)
-rubbing alcohol in a container that you can put your fingers into
-white nail polish
-clear nail polish (optional)
1) Coat your fingernails with white nail polish. Let them dry entirely before moving on to the next step.
2) Dip one fingernail into the rubbing alcohol for about 30-40 seconds (sometimes, more time is needed)
3) Remove your finger from the alcohol and press down a square of newspaper onto that fingernail. Don’t move it after you’ve put it down! It will smudge. Leave the square on until all the rubbing alcohol on your finger has been used up or you notice the the newspaper design has transferred.
4) Repeat with each of your nails
5) Paint over with a coat of clear nail polish for a more finished look
Note: Some newspaper might stick to your nails when doing this. After your newpaper nails have dried you can wash that newspaper off with water.
Rules: Answer the 20 questions in a new post and tag 20 other blogs
Nickname: Em. It’s even my name on Facebook. People actually call me Em so much that Emily is starting to feel like a nickname. Very weird.
Gender: cis woman
Star Sign: cancer
Height: I’m gonna guess 5'5"
Time right now: 7:38 pm
Last thing I googled: “hydrogen peroxide newspaper nails”. I wanted to do some nail art and I didn’t know if hydrogen peroxide worked for the tutorial instead of the rubbing alcohol usually used. I ended up finding the rubbing alcohol though and it worked fine!
Favorite Bands: Abba, Queen, the Beatles
Favorite Solo Artists: Lily Allen, Cyndi Lauper, Adele
Song stuck in your head: nothing cause I’m watching Bob’s Burgers haha
Last movie I watched: the first half of Into the Woods. I didn’t want to finish it though because I’m not in the mood to be sad. The last movie I watched fully was Clue.
Last TV Show I watched: Currently watching Bob’s Burgers. Haven’t watched any other TV in two weeks since my other shows haven’t updated in that long.
When did you create your blog: April, 2013.
What kind of stuff do you post: Rocky Horror, Bob’s Burgers, shitpost, feminist, queer stuff, general SJ stuff
When did your blog reach its peak: definitely around May 2014, when I posted that photoset of bisexual famous people WHICH IS VERY INACCURATE AND ALSO INSENSITIVE IN SOME AREAS. BUT I CAN’T STOP IT FROM CIRCULATING IN ITS ORIGINAL UNEDITED FORM WHICH MAKES ME REALLY MAD. But yeah that post has a HUGE amount of notes. It’s still circulating, unfortunately. But fortunately, it has gotten me a lot of followers which is nice.
Do you have any other blogs: yeahhhhhh it’s a roleplay blog. If you wanna know the URL just message me for it but I’m kinda embarrassed by it haha
Do you get asks regularly: not at all. But somehow today I got two. It felt great.
Why you chose your URL: because I’m Emily, and I love Magenta, who is a domestic. I want to play Magenta in a Shadowcast or in the musical, therefore my dream is to be Emily, The Domestic. Thus, emily-adomestic
Following: currently following 605 blogs
Posts: I have no idea how to check that…
Hogwarts House: hufflepuff (YO CAITLIN)
Pokémon Team: I was never into Pokémon. Sorry.
Favourite colour(s): red
Average hours of sleep: 7-8 ish
Lucky Number(s): I don’t have any
Favorite Characters: these are in order by which I love most. Magenta from RHPS, Linda from Bob’s Burgers, Bob from Bob’s Burgers, Tracy Turnblad from Hairspray, Rebecca James from Murdoch Mysteries, Riff Raff from RHPS, Columbia from RHPS, Janet from RHPS, Jane from Daria, Daria from Daria, Gene from Bob’s Burgers, Emily from Murdoch Mysteries (only because she’s queer lmao). It may come as a great shock to you that Frank isn’t on my list. And here’s the deal. I have recently come to my senses and remembered that he is a huge scum bag. An attractive one but that doesn’t matter. It may also surprise you that there is nothing from Disney on here. That is because if I opened that can of worms, we would be here all day.
What are you wearing right now: my big huge giant torn up purple and blue sweater and some leggings. The sweater used to be my dad’s and I wear it on lazy days.
How many blankets do you sleep with: 1 big huge comforter.
Dream job: Teacher
Dream trip: Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disney, or Shanghai Disneyland. In that order.
Went to Mitsuwa in Edgewater with the man on Sunday and picked up the 週刊NY生活, which is a free newspaper in Japanese about daily (Japanese) life in NY, published weekly.
I found that pouring some rubbing alcohol in the cap and dabbing it onto your finger, instead of dipping, was less messy and more controlled. Also, if you push too hard, the little paper shreds will stick on the nail and create non-consensual texture. It’s good to push a little firmly, though, cause then the ink transfers more precisely and darker.
I also tried to capture every part of the Japanese writing system on the span of these nails. Katakana, Hiragana, Kanji, numbers, punctuation and quotations all on my nails! Just no Romaji, oh well…
I’m getting awesome feed back on the picture of my nails. Some people want to know how to do it. It’s ridiculously easy to do.
You will need: -newspaper -rubbing alcohol -your nail polish color of choice -base/top coat, of course
1) Paint your nails whatever color you want and use top coat. I like to use a bright color OR something more neutral like grey or a muted pink like the one above. 2) Make sure your nails are COMPLETELY dry. I’m really bad at doing this so I usually paint my nails the night before so that when I’m ready to use the newsprint, I KNOW they’re dry. I’m very impatient. 3) Pour the rubbing alcohol in a small container. I usually just use the cap to the alcohol bottle. Rip up your newspaper so that you have a piece for each nail. 4) Dip your nail in the rubbing alcohol and press the piece of newspaper on your nail. Make sure you’re applying even pressure and hold it down for about 20 seconds. 5) Slowly peel away the news paper and the ink should have transferred from the paper to your nail. 6) Repeat for each nail and make sure to put another layer of top coat over the ink when you’re done. This makes it darker and protects it from chips.