How do two of the biggest entertainment companies manage to get both of their biggest girl groups to disband? That must be a new record. These groups would still be making music if not for poor management and just general lack of interest for artists’ development.
They literally got pushed aside for younger, “cuter” girl groups (which baring in mind this isn’t their* fault either, they’re just working like anyone else) but what both companies seem to forget is that both Wonder Girls and 2NE1 were an integral part to getting JYP and YG where they are today.
I only really started listening to 2NE1 last year and WG two years ago but it’s obvious that their music has impacted a lot of people. Especially girls and women. Not everyone cares about what’s new- some like one, some like the other, some (like me) like both. But people will listen to music they connect with.
And just a reminder both generations can co-exist under the same label. This never seems to be an issue for boy groups.
*EDIT: If it wasn’t obvious, when I say “their” I’m referring to new girl groups, who are obviously not at fault. This isn’t about blaming anyone other than the companies with more than enough money and resources but yet seem to be incapable of managing multiple girl groups properly. These same companies keep up the longevity of many boy groups. This is worth repeating.
The air was humid as you jogged up the steps in your white sneakers, kicking the door open with the nudge of your hip as you held the box in your hands. Harry groaned when the door opened and you merely smiled at him, quickly closing it behind you.
“Do you know why I invest in air conditioning, Y/N?” Harry asked, running his hands through his sweaty and damp hair. “It’s to keep the inside cool. And with you opening windows and keeping the door open all the time, that’s kind of hard to do.”
You rolled your eyes and placed the heap of boxes on the counter as Harry watched you. You were dressed much cuter and more casual than you had in the past with school, and Harry realized that it was because you could breathe again. You had no one to impress. You’d gotten a job. And now was just that transition phase before you moved on with your life.
1. It’s ok to be sad. Don’t ignore it. Don’t feel guilty for being sad. It reminds you that you feel and that you’re alive.
2. Remind yourself of the times you felt this way. It’s ok to rest after a fall. Give yourself time to regain the energy to pick yourself back up.
3. Do not ever hide parts of yourselves just to be accepted. It’s better to be alone than to pretend to be someone you’re not just to feel worthwhile.
4. It’s ok if people leave once you do so. You’ll be glad that they did. And you’ll appreciate the ones that stayed.
5. Self love also means accepting your shortcomings and admitting your wrongdoings. Accept that you can be short tempered at times. However, it’s not an excuse. Apologise when you hurt others. Be a better version of yourself.
6. Accept your physical quirks. Love your frizzy hair, your scars, your stretch marks. They are a part of you. You have your father’s hair. Your scars shows your resilience. Your stretch marks are evidence of growth. Embrace them.
7. Take time off when you need to. Brush your hair. Put some lip balm on. Wash your face. Sometimes, cleaning your body can also clear your mind. Even for a little while.
8. If you don’t achieve your goals, it’s ok. You tried your best. You tried even when your heart and body was heavy. And if you didn’t, see it as a lesson learnt. Just try again. Don’t let it bring you down.
9. Find little joys in life. Appreciate the sun rays peeking through your window. The sound of rain. Finding new music. Laughter. A smile.
10. Learn how to love your own company. Ride your bike around the neighbourhood. Watch a movie by yourself. Shop by yourself. Eat by yourself. You’ll find out that no matter what, you will always have yourself.
11. Know when to let go of a fading friendship. Then appreciate the good times. But accept that it was in the past and you’re both different people now.
12. Instigate meetings with your friends once in a while. Then ask them how they are. Don’t be afraid to talk about emotions. Learn how to open up but also learn how to listen. You don’t need to give advice, offering your shoulder can be enough.
13. Don’t be afraid to try new things. If you didn’t like it, remember that it’s better to regret doing something than wondering about the ‘what if’s’.
14. If you make a mistake, see it as a chance to learn. To grow. To improve. Don’t let it bring you down.
15. If you feel good in it, you’ll look good in it.
16. Compliment someone without comparing yourself to them. Appreciate the beauty of others without undermining yours.
17. Know that you are the only one that can have a say on what happens to your body. If you want to get a tattoo (and it’s legal), if you want a piercing, if you want to dye your hair, do it. Because you want to. You don’t need anyone else’s permission.
18. Remind the important people in your life how much you care for them. A little “thanks for everything” or a small text of appreciation can be enough.
Things I’ve learnt by 18 (but I’ve still got more to learn)
When namjoon never forgets to acknowledge international fans & how he sutters while trying really hard to find the right english words to express how he feels even if it doesn’t always come out smoothly.
When jimin talks about how he doesn’t have abs anymore or that he’s eating a lot and is healthy & you can tell because his face is all cute and swollen and you can just see him finally loving himself.
When jungkook makes an effort to take english classes, buy new music equipment and have a goal to produce his own music just so he can give more to his fans and become better musically
When taehyung is just taehyung and doesn’t change who he is on or off camera not matter how weird some people may think he is & his ability to stay strong even at the most toughest times.
When jin went out of his way to learn how to play the guitar and piano and just completely blew us away with his skills, showing that he is truly more that just a visual but a multi-talented idol.
When yoongi puts everything into a song and you can just hear his raw passion and agression combined with all the emotions of himself and you can just tell he was made for music.
When hoseok can’t stop smiling every time he dances or performs on stage, literally owning any performance he does & just always showing passion into anything he does that you forget he the same person who could become EXTRA at any moment.