cosmic witchcraft 101: lunar magick ☾
The Moon is Earth’s only major natural satellite. Scientists believe it formed about 30-50 million years after the rest of our solar system. While there are several ideas as it how it formed, the most widely accepted hypothesis proposes that in the first few million years after the Sun’s birth, the Moon was formed from debris from a cataclysmic impact between Earth and a Mars-sized body called Theia.
- Relative to the size of the planet it orbits, the Moon is the largest planetary satellite in our solar system.
- The Moon is the second densest satellite in our solar system, coming in behind Io.
- Eclipses occur during an astronomical event called a syzygy, when three celestial bodies (in this case - the Earth, the Moon, and the Sun) are aligned.
- Despite being the second brightest object in the night sky, the Moon is about as reflective as worn asphalt.
- Even though they display half of the Moon’s surface area, quarter moons are only 25% as bright as the full moon.
- The distance between the Earth and Moon is slowly increasing. Hundreds of millions of years in the future, its angular diameter will have decreased so much that total eclipses will never happen again.
- Lunar calendars may have originated as early as 30,000 years ago.
Colors: white, silver, gray, light blue, red, orange, yellow, black
Intents: self-love, protection, absorb negative energy, dreams, balance, dealing with change, inner peace, starting new routines, balancing emotions, centering, turning your circumstances around, sea/ocean magick (tidal influences)
Herbs: aloe, nutmeg, willow, watercress, lily, jasmine, violet, fennel, poppy, parsley, honeysuckle, mugwort
Crystals: hematite, pyrite, peridot, rhodonite, enstatite, moonstone, silver, white quartz, opal, amethyst, selenite, pearl, aquamarine, rose quartz
*some of these correspondences are based on traditional associations and some are based on my personal associations