also now that Hak has reached the point where he’ll literally mumble “iloveyou” under his breath and Yona will be like “whuh did you say something” and he’ll be like “NO I DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING WAS SOMEONE TALKING. I SAID NOTHING. IT WAS YOU. TALKING TO YOURSELF” I hope it becomes a running gag now. Like I know it’s supposed to be tragic and romantic but i find it hilarious so keep doing that. Like:
Yona: Did you say you loved…?
Hak: I SAID OH MY GOD I LOVE…YOON’S COOKING. WE SHOULD HURRY UP AND RESCUE HIM. BECAUSE I’M HUNGRY. AND NEITHER OF US CAN FUCKING COOK.
Yona: We were going to rescue him regardless, Hak, it’s fine.
Hak: YEAH. IT’S FINE.
and then later:
Yona: *says to Hak she’ll protect him or that he can rely on her or any of the things that are guaranteed to make him spasm with joy*
Hak: I SAID IT…DOESN’T TURN ME ON WHEN YOU DO THAT. YOU’RE NOT GONNA MAKE ME LOVE YOU. SO STOP TRYING TO SEDUCE ME.
Yona: I’m not trying to seduce you, I’m just being sincere.
Hak: WELL GOOD. BECAUSE IF YOU WERE TRYING TO SEDUCE ME IT’S NOT WORKING.
So, I noticed @confidenceatitsfinest, @sugakookiefactory, and some of the other SugaKookie blogs talking about the latest BTS teaser/trailer/thing. And, well, I couldn’t help but be curious. (You know me, I can’t resist a good theory session.) I hope, Rin, that you don’t mind me putting my two cents in, but it might offer you a different line of thought about the apples. I’m not ARMY, but I am a nerd…and it just so happens this falls into one of my random specialties.
What really caught my attention about Rin’s post was the equivocation between the apple and sin. I’ve actually seen that a lot, but particularly in regards to this comeback. But what if I were to tell you, apples were never sin.
A lot of people say, “But Eve ate an apple in the Garden of Eden, which was the first sin.” Lots of people believe that to be the case, but if you actually look in the Bible the fruit eaten by Eve is never named. (In fact, there are scholars who claim a pomegranate would be a more likely candidate for the fruit.) The association between apples and “sin” actually comes from a dead old white guy named John Milton. Now Milton is famous for a big huge fanfiction about the creation story called Paradise Lost, which is considered one of the greatest works in the English language. In Book Nine, he specifically describes the forbidden fruit as being an apple, which is where that construct was born. Legit, Milton was just like “Ugh, you know what are super delicious and tempting? Apples. Imma make apples the forbidden fruit.”
-takes a deep breath-
But when you actually look at the account, the apple (we’ll call it apple for ease) was not the sin. In Genesis 2:17, it actually says: “But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” The apple isn’t the sin. It literally just has the ability to give the eater knowledge of good and evil. The sin, if anything was, was in eating the fruit and going against the direct orders of God (that whole “don’t eat it” bit). So apples are innocent victims in the bigger picture.
That’s all well and good, I’m sure you’re thinking, but what does that have to do with BTS? Well, first off, let’s revisit that idea of knowledge. Jimin and Yoongi are seen chilling, one with an apple and the other with a blindfold.
Now to me, it looks like Yoongi is considering putting that blindfold on. But, in a way, Jimin is offering him the apple - maybe. If that were the case, Yoongi gets to choose between ignorance and knowledge. (Still not convinced apples are knowledge? The Apple logo is a bitten apple, because they are a source of knowledge. Teachers are traditionally given gifts of apples, because they represent knowledge just like teachers.)
Jimin also seems pretty happy with his apples. He’s pictured with them, and in his short film he even eats one.
Much visual. Many important. After he takes this bite, though, he half-smiles at the camera…kind of like he knows something you don’t.
So I guess what I’m saying is, what if we saw the apple (and by association Jimin) as something instead of sin? How does that change the way people are reading the teaser? To me, it seems less like the video implies YoonMin chicanery and more like Jimin represents knowledge, both good and bad. Maybe Yoongi has to choose between ignorance and knowledge - of what, who knows?
OKAY SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT I HAD TO POST THE ENTIRE THING.
WOW IT FINALLY HAPPENED AND THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THIS SEQUENCE THAT IS NOT GREAT AND HILARIOUS.
1. It started out as a fist bump and Hak was all ~i’ll wait for u~ then Yona was like “no this needs to be a kiss”
2. Yona initiated it because of course she fucking did Hak was never going to
3. she broke him. he just stood there staring off into space and she was like “WELL. BYE.” and only says “..wait” after she already left.
4. Then he starting spinning around in circles repeating “THIS IS WEIRD” and imitates the fucking squirrel? WHY? WHY MAKE SQUIRREL NOISES? oh my god Hak.
5. He asks if he’s dead and has to be assured he is not. also that everyone is just witnessing this extreme complete turmoil and kinda bored about it.
6. I was so joking in my tags that Hak was really upset Yona wasn’t more dramatic about giving away the hairpin because he would have been. but. no that’s canon now. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING DOING ALL THIS SHIT CASUALLY. WHERE IS THE DRAMA.”
7. “YOU DUMMY” jesus christ. He “baka-d” her. wow Hak.
8. “I NEED TO STOP BEING SURPRISED AT EVERYTHING SHE DOES IT NEVER ENDS.THIS IS BAD FOR MY HEALTH” I appreciate this level of self awareness.
9. Meanwhile Yona being like FUCK I FUCKED UP. HE JUST LOOKED SO SAD. I WANTED TO REASSURE HIM I’D COME BACK FROM THE WAR. BUT THAT WASN’T COOL! YOU CAN’T JUST DO THAT OUT OF NOWHERE! WHY DID I DO THAT. HE DIDN’T LIKE IT EITHER HE JERKED AWAY. FUCK.
10. Yona: OKAY WHATEVER TABLING THAT NEED TO FOCUS ON IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE SAVING THE KINGDOM.
they’re both such fucking loser babies. jesus. i love them.
Am I the only one who hopes the person on catfish is actually being catfished??
I meannnnnn I feel like since the show is called catfish: the TV show and because Nev got catfished his own damn self, I ain’t got time to watch people be who they really say they are. I’m tryna watch a dude get catfished by his grandma.