“The Get Down has no plotline”
I haven’t even watched part 2 yet but we’re talking about a show with :
- a smart and sensitive afro latinx boy trying to navigate between his feelings and the tough act he has to put on, and having to choose between doing what he loves most (making music with his friends) and what would allow him to leave the Bronx for a better life (internships in big societies and college). He is also torn between his best friend who pushes him toward the first option, and his girlfriend who pushes him toward the latter.
- an afro latina on a journey to become a famous singer despite her abusive father and crumbling family, she learns that the business is not as it seems but she is determined to achieve her dreams.
- a black boy who’s being abused by his boss and who built this amazing, almost mythical alter ego to navigate through life. Music is what makes him want to live and he’s trying to become an incredible DJ. He’s trying to navigate between making music with his friends and becoming famous for it, and doing his boss’ dangerous and illegal work because he has no choice.
- a black boy discovering he’s bisexual and falling in love with another boy.
- the Bronx as a character in itself, with white politicians trying to “win” it to further their career while never giving a shit about the population, the only influential person trying to better the lives of the neighbourhood is a latino businessman/gangster.
- a former secret love affair between adults with a love triangle involving a woman and two brothers.
- explosive gang wars.
- and all of this happening while the main characters discover and revolutionize music and even create a whole freaking new genre.
BUT TELL ME AGAIN HOW THE GET DOWN HAS NO PLOTLINE ??? Just say you’re racist and go smh