❝ Medical astrology (traditionally known as iatromathematics) is an ancient medical system that associates various parts of the body, diseases, and drugs as under the influence of the sun, moon, and planets, along with the twelve astrological signs. ❞
Medical Astrology has been practiced for centuries over centuries and still remains in practice to this day - although it became much humbler as modern medicine evolved and astrology transformed into something wildly interpreted as “humbug”. Even some of those who study astrology still seem to have a false understanding of what exactly medical astrology is and therefore don’t believe in it themselves.
So to clear up any possible misconceptions before I start: Medical Astrology is NOT the stars telling you that you’re going to have a specific condition because one of your placements suggests it. As with most other things, there’s a lot that comes into play: Other placements, on one hand, but especially, and I really want to stress this, things like how you treat your body, accidents that you may get into, DNA, … you get the drift.
I already mentioned it, but medical astrology only SUGGESTS higher risks for specific ailments. It does NOT predict them. (Transits, however, CAN - but even they don’t promise for you to get the disease or whatever ailment is supposed to happen. This is another topic, though.)
Having said that, I will make another post for very specific conditions, for this one I’ll only talk about some general things like what signs/houses/planets rule what body part and what role everything plays. Also, I do NOT take responsibility for what you do with this information. I’m not trying to scare anyone, I’m just passing on some of my knowledge.
SIGNS & HOUSES
- Aries/1st House: rules head, face (and everything in it), brain, hair, vision
- Taurus/2nd House: rules throat, voice/vocal cords/tract, neck, thyroid, weight
- Gemini/3rd House: rules hands, arms, nerve system, shoulders, lungs, brain
- Cancer/4th House: rules alimentary canal, breasts/chest, stomach
- Leo/5th House: rules heart, chest, upper back, spinal column, spine
- Virgo/6th House: rules intestines, nervous system, digestive system, spleen
- Libra/7th House: rules skin, lumbar region, kidneys, buttocks, lower back
- Scorpio/8th House: rules genitalia, bowels, reproductive & excretory system
- Sagittarius/9th House: rules thighs, hips, sciatic nerve, liver
- Capricorn/10th House: rules skeletal system, knees, joints
- Aquarius/11th House: rules calves, ankles, circulatory system
- Pisces/12th House: rules feet, toes, adipose tissue, lymphatic system
- Sun: general vitality, spine, heart
- Moon: digestive & lymphatic system, stomach, female organs
- Mercury: central nervous system, hands, brain
- Venus: throat, kidneys, ovaries
- Mars: muscles, head, adrenal glands
- Jupiter: growth, pituaitary gland, liver
- Saturn: skin, hair, bones, teeth, immune system, spleen
- Uranus: neural activity, aura, parathyroid gland
- Neptune: pineal gland
- Pluto: metabolism, pancreas
Now we know what the involved parts represent, but not why and how that is. So to use medical astrology properly we have to make the connections between these aspects (hint: aspects can play a role too, but one usually puts more emphasis on houses/signs + planets) and know about some common themes:
- SATURN suggests struggles & weakness in the assigned body part(s) of the sign/house he resides in.
- e.g.: Saturn in Gemini and 5th suggests trouble with breathing properly (in extreme cases ailments like asthma) and back problems
- URANUS often makes for “abnormalities” or strange/unusual conditions.
- e.g.: Uranus in Taurus and 3rd can indicate rapidly changing weight and somewhat differently formed fingers (in extreme cases things like swan neck fingers)
- STELLIA can cause trouble due to the excessive amount of energy bundled in (a) certain body part(s).
- e.g.: An Aries (head/brain) stellium can make for strong or chronical headaches
- EXTREME DOMINANCE works like a stellium as long as the dominance is very prominent.
- CHALLENGING ASPECTS can lead to trouble as well - one has to look at the planets involved and the houses/signs they’re in for this one to know more.
- e.g.: A VERY afflicted/”damaged” sun in the 6th might in extreme cases indicate a heightened potential to suffer of a heart attack.
I of course didn’t cover every theme, every aspect, everything that is important, but with your new-earned knowledge you should have a solid and basic foundation with which you should be able to work. As I already said, I’ll make a separate post with very specific ailments which I will also describe (the why and how) that I will then link in this one.
As Medical Astrology is its own branch of astrology and therefore gets more and more complex the more you dive into it, my ask box is always open if you should need clarification or help with interpreting something.