netfab

Using the 3D printer for the first time. This trial failed because the printers nosell was broken. hopefully on Monday ill be able to reprint my model. This model is the same one in the previous screenshots on up and netfab.

OneNineEight.OneTwenty

Assignment 1 - XYZ

Conclusion

This paper has so far been extremely beneficial in learning the process and manufacturing methods that come with rapid prototyping. Although the hand is was only intended to be 8 models, I have found myself trialling and testing many many more iterations than ever required. But perhaps it is exactly this why rapid prototyping plays such an important part in the process of any design. Nobody can design something the first time and make it perfect. Even after 100′s of iterations it might still be incorrect, that is why I now see the need for rapid prototyping.


So far in this paper I have learnt and even further develop my skills in the following apps. Illustrator, 123D Make, Rhino 5, Solidworks, NetFab, Up!, and the ULS software. All have been a necessity in the design and execution of digital fabrication.

I look forward to talking the skills I have learnt further in the second half of this semester.

Posted By Christopher Chen

5

Week 5

3D prints

Proof of Concepts - Netfab

These captures are taken off Netfab before 3D printing was was done. They show that there are no errors in the parts and that they were drawn successfully as “a water tight” object that could be 3D printed.

Posted By Christopher Chen

5

Week 4: 3D Print iteration. This model is one of my joining models that I made earlier. I wanted to 3D print this, so I put it into NetFab to see if it was a watertight object and if it would 3D print. Above is an image from NetFab that shows a red exclamation mark which means it is unable to print. Before you can print you need to create a right object that is watertight and it is correct when the red exclamation mark doesn’t appear.

5

Week 4: 3D Print iteration. This is an iteration from my previous 3D printer trial. The first one didn’t work so I found out what was wrong with the previous file and fixed it. The cut out on the triangles was touching the line with where the gap is to connect to the hexagon so it wouldn’t print as it didn’t recognise it as a solid object. To fix this, I filled in the gap in the middle of the triangle and made it a full shape. I then tried this shape in NetFab, and as shown above it worked.