Please don’t watch Neo Yokio if you are looking for some intentionally pensive, thoughtful, well animated, well voice-acted, plot-driven show
Please do watch Neo Yokio if:
- You are here for Jaden Smith’s anime persona embodying Jaden Smith’s tweets
- You want to hear Jude Law voice a mecha robot
- You live for the ironic juxtaposition of the neo riche and the bourgeoisie
- You love ridiculous one-liners like
“Demon, be gone from this chanel suit!!”
- You aren’t taking yourself too seriously when you watch the show
- You enjoy VW’s music because Ezra’s influence is really obvious
Is it well executed? As someone who grew up watching her fair share of classic Japanese anime without being a huge anime fan… I would say Ezra wasn’t lying when he said it was a homage. It borders on parodying - which I’m not sure was the intended effect - both artistically and thematically.
That being said, I loved how campy it is. As a typical middle class family kid I’ve had zero brushes with Cartier watches, Chanel suits or Met Balls so watching this anime deal with these in a rather absurd fashion is quite validating. I don’t know if I am laughing with them, or at them, but hey, I’m laughing right?