This little machine will be installed in the head of the large cyclops-octopus-robot thing I’m working on. Its made from a truck wheel hub, a candle holder, the motor from a dollar bill intake machine, some LEDs, and a few other random parts.
Tank: Welded and sanded. I’m a little disappointed to have lost some of the definition in the shape to heat and sanding, but I suspect I may be able to gain some of it back as I progress towards a polished finish.
This will be the head (I hope) for a new large piece I’m working on. It’s a Jacobs Ladder, meaning that a high voltage electrical arc will repeatedly climb the two long electrodes inside the glass cylinder.
So, I haven’t posted anything in a while but I’ve had a good reason. The image here may look a lot like a motorcycle, but it isn’t. Well, it is, but it’s a lot more. It’s a first step towards breaking my total dependence on found objects for source material.
Waaaay back when I first started making things in metal I went with found things because I didn’t have the skills to make the shapes that I wanted to. This project represents my first attempt at building forms from sheet stock. It’s a steep learning curve, but I’m beginning to see the way it works. I figure that by the time I build all the body work on this motorcycle (the tank is coming along nicely) I’ll have developed the skills to apply this technique to sculptures. I’ve had a lot of false starts, and a lot of material has wound up in the scrap bin, but stay tuned, things are starting to flow now.
Working on a mask from sheet metal. Part of the motivation in my motorcycle project was to pick up some new techniques that could be applied to art. I’m not thrilled with this piece so far, but I can see the possibilities opening up.
It seems that the folks at Google changed their logo to honor “Little Nemo in Slumberland” today. Fun fact: My parents named me after this wonderfully surreal cartoon and not Jules Vernes Captain Nemo. Fun fact #2: In latin, Nemo means “He who is without name” or “anonymous”.