What Makes NC Great? National Brands!!
We all know there are many products made right here in The Old North State. But did you know that there are several national and international brands that started out as local NC products?
- Pepsi - Introduced as “Brad’s Drink” in 1893 in New Bern, NC; Available Internationally, worth over $100 Billion!
- Texas Pete - Introduced in 1929, in Winston-Salem, NC; Available Nationwide
- Mt Olive Pickles - Began in 1926 in Mt Olive, NC; Available Nationwide, #1 pickle brand in the US Southeast.
- Lance Crackers - Founded in a1913 in Charlotte, NC; Available Internationally, Parent company to Tom’s and Cape Cod Potato Chips.
- Cheerwine - Introduced in 1917 in Salisbury, NC; Available across the southeastern US and is currently expanding its reach throughout the US. Cheerwine is also available in Norway!
- Hanes - Founded in 1901 in Wintson-Salem, NC; John Hanes owned a tobacco company and when RJ Reynolds bought the company from him, he began making socks and created the Hanes Company that is available internationally today!
NC is also proud to be the home of several great national chain restaurants! (Some of these are still largely regional, but they are all growing and expanding!)
- Bojangles - Founded: 1977, The First store was located in Charlotte, NC and has grown to nearly 500 stores throughout the southeast and as far north as Pennsylvania.
- Golden Corral - Founded: 1973, The original Golden Corral was founded in Fayetteville, NC, but has expanded to 480 stores in 40 states.
- Cook Out - Founded: 1989, Cook-Out began in Greensboro, NC and now has 101 stores in NC, SC, Virginia, and Tennessee.
- Hardee’s - Founded: 1960, the original Hardee’s opened in Greenville, NC and has since grown, with its sister company Carl’s Jr., into the fifth largest fast food chain in the US.
- Krispy Kreme - Founded: 1937, Winston-Salem, NC is home to the original Krispy Kreme as well as the headquarters for the international doughnut shop.
- Ham’s - Founded: 1935, Ham’s originated in Greensboro, NC and now has stores from Virginia down to Florida.