ncli

No Child Left Inside Day

I really like the name given to Tuesday of Earth Science Week: No Child Left Inside day. This photo shows a US Forest Service interpretive guide teaching a group of children about the geology of Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska, a rapidly retreating glacier near Juneau, Alaska. This is what we want to happen on NCLI day – kids get outside and experience all that this planet has to offer.

Anyone out there running any events for this year’s No Child Left Inside day? If so, let us know in the comments below!

-JBB

Image credit: USDA Forest Service
https://flic.kr/p/kxe3bK

More:
http://www.earthsciweek.org/ncli

The State of Our Oceans

As you may already know, water is a limited, non renewable resource. About 72% of the Earth is covered by water, and 96.5% of Earth’s water lay in its oceans, with the other 3.5% being in lakes, rivers, streams, icebergs, ice caps, and water vapor. Only about 4% of all of Earth’s water, however, is suitable for drinking and domestic use. 

With such a limited supply of water to use, it is crucial to take care of our oceans and other water resources and the organisms living there. 

In recent years, marine animals have been dying on account of trash disposed in oceans. These animals may mistake our garbage for food, or they may simply be caught in it as they swim. 

When plastics are dumped into the ocean, they may block out sunlight, causing autotrophs, organisms who produce their own nutrition from sunlight, like plankton and algae below to be deprived of their food source. If plankton and algae populations are threatened, so will the animals who eat them, like fish and turtles. If there is less food for fish and turtles, there will also be less food for tuna, sharks and whales. The entire system could collapse if too much plastic blocks out sunlight.

At this point, you may be asking yourself, “So what?” or “Why should I care?”

Well…


Sources: 

http://education.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/ 

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html