What I’m really doing behind the scenes while I blog. There are not enough words to describe how important water is to lose weight…For starters, water is a natural appetite suppressant. Do NOT underestimate the power of this statement. Lack of water can lead to over eating. You brain does not differentiate between hunger and thirst. So, when you think you are feeling hungry, your body may in fact be signaling to you that you are thirsty! If you are not consuming enough water each day and you feel hunger pains, chances are, your body really is crying out for water. In many instances people will find what they thought were hunger pangs were in fact, satisfied by water. Try it! You have nothing to lose. The average person needs around 6-8 large glasses every day but I drink 1 gallon- yes a gallon. I fill it up every morning and make it my mission to finish it before I go to sleep each night. The aim is to drink water consistently. If you drink too much all at once or too fast, it will simply pass through you, with little or no benefit to your body. I like to have water before I go to sleep and and soon as I wake up. I feel the healthiest this way and my urine is incredibly clear.
If your not having enough water, your body is going to store it just like it does with salt and you will see a relation with the scale. It’s part of the body’s in-built survival mechanism - to store up the essential nutrients in short supply…just in case they aren’t available in the future. So if you don’t drink enough water, you are ‘conditioning’ your body to store water.
How do you know if you are not getting enough water each day?
- The most common symptom is headaches. A major function of water is to flush toxins from the body. Your brain is 75% water, so even being slightly dehydrated can cause headaches.
- Poor concentration/fatigue. If you body can’t get rid of the toxins it will struggle and you will feel less energetic as your body diverts energy to deal with the toxins.
- Constipation. Your body will use water for more essential functions and as a result its going to be harder to flush everything out.
- Reduced urine output or dark urine.
- Skin. Your skin should feel elastic. When you pinch the skin on the back of your hand it should snap back instantly.